First time mash tun build - opinions on insulation please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi all. I am about to start work on my mash tun. I want to be able to direct fire the mash tun so as I can easily perform step mashes.

I also want good insulation to prevent heat loss. My idea is to insulate the sides and the top of the mash tun but to leave the bottom uninsulated so as it can take a direct flame.

My problem has been finding a suitable insulating material. I have seen on this board people recommending armaflex, is this fireproof?

Would using this material

http://www.pipelagging.com/duct-insulation-sheet-aluminium-foil-backed-09mm-p-1099.html

be safe for my purpose?

Cheers, Andrew

Class 'O' fire category means low fire propagation index producing a zero surface spread of flame for a high degree of fire protection and safety

Sounds good.

Fantastic! Looks like it is waterproof as well which will make cleaning the mash tun much easier.

I'm looking for a material that I can attach permanently that also looks pretty cool. Think this may tick all the boxes.

It does say max surface temp 60C but it also says it self-extinguishes so I thought it would be alright. Now I'm not so sure...

I thought armaflex was the material people used when insulating a direct fire mash tun?

Are there better materials to use for this purpose?

Any flame roll-out from the burner will melt the armaflex and probally make some nasty fumes. Unless you can protect the lower edges I wouldn't put armaflex near an open flame. Zero flame spread doesn't mean fire proof. Unless you've got a ceramic insulation or something along those lines any flame contact is going to cause insulation degredation and some sort of melt/smoke.

Your mash tun looks cool. I don't have the tools to be cutting aluminium sheet unfortunately :( I was hoping to find some kind of material that required minimal tools to attach and that was flame resistant and waterproof. Looks like I'll have to rethink the armaflex...

There are other products on their website that state the max temp is 105C. I think they do several versions of the product that can withstand different ranges of temperature.

I sent an email to them last night but haven't received a reply yet. I ask them something along the lines of "what would happen if I placed armaflex approximately three inches away from a naked flame? Will it burn?" I hope I didn't sound like too much of a nutter...!

Please post back with what you find out. I'm in the 'investigatory' phase of vessel insulation.

Rockwool any mineral fiber insulation will work for a Tun a BK or even a furnace.

Glass wool 230 - 250 °C
Mineral wool 700 - 850 °C
Ceramic fiber wool 1200 °C

Stick with the basics, they are reliable & well proven technologies that are easy to get and affordable.

Your mash tun looks cool. I don't have the tools to be cutting aluminium sheet unfortunately :( I was hoping to find some kind of material that required minimal tools to attach and that was flame resistant and waterproof. Looks like I'll have to rethink the armaflex...

I'm sure you could use tape with Bobby's insulation he found. Here's some BA looking tape :D

The only roof flashing I can find is like this:

http://crafts.benfranklin.com/12949-3ALUM-ROOF-FLASHING-BASE-SIZE11/M/B0010450EG.htm

Don't think this will be much good due to the large hole in the middle. Is the flashing you are talking about basically a thin sheet of aluminium? If so I can't find this anywhere on a UK site. Could you post a link to a product of possible.

diatonic: "Please post back with what you find out. I'm in the 'investigatory' phase of vessel insulation."

I have received an email on the armaflex insulation with regards to its ability to withstand direct flame. Here's what they said:

"When our Class O Armaflex material is exposed to a naked flame for a short time the material should neither burn nor melt. There will however be localised charing, the material will become brittle and if the flame persists for long enough there will be smoke given off the material."

Rockwool any mineral fiber insulation will work for a Tun a BK or even a furnace.

Glass wool 230 - 250 °C
Mineral wool 700 - 850 °C
Ceramic fiber wool 1200 °C

Stick with the basics, they are reliable & well proven technologies that are easy to get and affordable.

I used a wool blanket from a surplus store tied around my sanke mash tun. Total cost was about $20. If it ever gets splashed, I can easily remove it and run it through the wash. It's a cheap, effective solution.

The only roof flashing I can find is like this:

http://crafts.benfranklin.com/12949-3ALUM-ROOF-FLASHING-BASE-SIZE11/M/B0010450EG.htm

Don't think this will be much good due to the large hole in the middle. Is the flashing you are talking about basically a thin sheet of aluminium? If so I can't find this anywhere on a UK site. Could you post a link to a product of possible.

diatonic: "Please post back with what you find out. I'm in the 'investigatory' phase of vessel insulation."

I have received an email on the armaflex insulation with regards to its ability to withstand direct flame. Here's what they said:

"When our Class O Armaflex material is exposed to a naked flame for a short time the material should neither burn nor melt. There will however be localised charing, the material will become brittle and if the flame persists for long enough there will be smoke given off the material."

Lowes:
Amerimax 20" x 10' Roll Aluminum Flashing
Item #: 12540 | Model #: 66320
$8.37

Back