Unintentional Imperial Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
I brewed a hefe a couple weeks back and accidently used a 6 gallon grainbill for 5 gallons, then proceeded to boil off more than I thought. What I got now is a beer that's about 6.2 percent abv. Just opened up and tried the first one. Can't say its particularly pleasant really. Alcohol-y finish and just not very drinkable. Anyone ever intentionally make a beer like this? I'm gonna give it more time, but I really hope it wasn't a waste of time.

It took months for my Bier de Garde (8% abv) to bottle condition and not taste green and alcohol-y. I suspect your brew will eventually be an interesting and tasty accident.

Every time (4 I think) that I have brewed Ed's Bavarian Hefe, I have wound up with a beer over 6% ABV. After bottle conditioning they usually finish up in the 6.5 - 6.7% range.

The flavor has always been great and the beers have been pretty good at concealing the fact that the ABV was out of style limits.

Back