Dry Hop a coffee porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

it4life1981

Reaction score
I am new to brewing so I hope this is the place to post this. I brewed a coffee porter on Monday. It's actually just a porter currently. The recipe stated that I should add the coffee at the end of the boil but the research I did made me decide to do otherwise. I've decided to add cold-brewed coffee to the secondary. But here is my dilemma: I want to dry hop for about a week in the primary before I rack to the secondary with the coffee. I have .25 oz cascade and .75 oz hallertauer pellets for dry hopping. Is it ok to dry hop for about a week after fermentation is complete in the primary then rack to secondary with the coffee. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of guys wouldn't even put it in secondary, the only reason I will do it is if I'm looking for a crystal clear beer.

If your Porter is dark enough and you're not to worried about clarity then I would do it all in primary and not worry about contamination or oxidation from racking to secondary.

I made a coffee porter earlier this year and added cold brewed coffee at bottling no secondary.

Thanks for the input. My porter is definately dark enough so I think I may add the coffee at bottling.

I will be doing this very soon. I plan to bottle half of my oatmeal stout without coffee, add some cold-steeped coffee to the bottling bucket, then bottle the second half of the batch with the coffee added. This way I can compare flavors.

Back