caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadrut72

Reaction score
Can you sanitize your caps in c brite or do you have to soak in vodka? What's the best way to do it?

Starsan, bleach solution, 180F + water, iodophor, some use one step (but there is debate whether it is a sanitizer) tho' I've used one step for years

I dunk my o2 barrier caps in starsan right before placing them on the bottles. works fine without soaking them so long the o2 barrier gets activated in the sanitizer. At least,to my thinking & experiences. No infestions either.

Sometimes I sanitize them.. sometimes I don't. O2 caps are effected by acid based sanitizers and moisture. As soon as they get "wet" they get used up.. making them pointless as o2 caps.

I dunk my o2 barrier caps in starsan right before placing them on the bottles. works fine without soaking them so long the o2 barrier gets activated in the sanitizer. At least,to my thinking & experiences. No infestions either.

This is what I do as well.

The o2 barrier def won't get used up that fast. They're designed to work long enough for co2 to build up in the head space. & just dunking them real quick won't instantly nutralize the effect. Me,revvy,& a few others had this conversation some months ago in the santitation furum.

Right out of the bag and onto my bottles.
You might call this bad practice but ZERO infections my entire 2+ years of brewing.

I think I read somewhere on here that not even the big brewerys sanatize their bottlecaps.

Clann said:
Right out of the bag and onto my bottles.
You might call this bad practice but ZERO infections my entire 2+ years of brewing.

I think I read somewhere on here that not even the big brewerys sanatize their bottlecaps.

This, although only one year experience (this weekend!) I have bottled almost 200 gallons of home brew :)

Well,after reading 4 pages of posts on this matter,school is still out on whether to sanitize them or not. A quick dunk is better than not doing it,from what was posted.
And as I suspected,the o2 absorption layer takes hours & days,not minutes to do their job. So a quick dunk in starsan is still ok right before placing them on the bottles.

It is still going to overall affect their ability to absorb oxygen, and if you want to age a beer for a long time its just something to think about. Also, it depends on how you store your caps. If they are directly out of the packaging vs. laying in some dirty draw then that should play a factor. At least it would to me.

Back