Rye IPA - Hop Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, since I've been waiting so long for my crushed grains I've been playing (and playing and playing...) with the hop profile for my Rye IPA.

Here's the recipe:

Code:
Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 57.5     7.70 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              Great Britain  1.038      3
 18.7     2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye                    America        1.034      2
 16.4     2.20 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  7.5     1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L                   America        1.034     60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount      Name               Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz.    Goldings - B.C.    Pellet   4.50  10.4  First WH
0.75 oz.    Columbus           Pellet  14.50  37.2  60 min.
0.50 oz.    Columbus           Pellet  14.50  17.3  25 min.
0.50 oz.    Goldings - B.C.    Pellet   4.50   5.4  25 min.
0.25 oz.    Columbus           Pellet  14.50   4.5  10 min.
0.25 oz.    Goldings - B.C.    Pellet   4.50   1.4  10 min.
0.50 oz.    Columbus           Pellet  14.50   0.0  Dry Hop
0.50 oz.    Goldings - B.C.    Pellet   4.75   0.0  Dry Hop

SRM: 12.1
IBU: 76.1 (Promash Tinseth)

Single infusion mash. Not sure what temp yet.

What do you think? I'll be using Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast, so that should leave a fairly high FG, so I'm hoping the residual sweetness will balance out the hops.

Open to suggestions... :)

If you can, I would really recommend switching to whole hops for the dry hopping. Pellets are fine enough elsewhere. Sounds like a nice hop intensive brew you have there.

i'd go with whole hops for dry hop too (if it's not too late?). i'd go with a drier finishing yeast for the Rye IPA. maybe the White Labs London Ale, English Ale, or Dry English ale. not sure what the wyeast equal is? but, that's just me. the ESB would be okay too.

looks good!

I have my choice of the wyeast 1968 or windsor.

I'm hoping to get the grains finally bt the weekend, if not I have to go to Vancouver nad can pick up some stuff there, like whole hops.

I'll probably use the wyeast pack since I don't want it to get to old.

Myself, anytime I make a Rye I use Wyeat's 1272 American Ale Yeast II. EXCELLENT!

BitterRat said:
Hmm, looks interesting! I'm curious how Goldings will work with Columbus!! :confused:

That's the first thing I noticed. I wonder if the Columbus might totally overpower the Goldings?

I'm not terribly knowledgable on the hops, but in my experience, EKG's are really mild, while Columbus is pretty potent. And I mean in the flavor and aroma departments...not only AA%.

That's why I made a FWH of goldings, but you might be right, maybe reduce the flavor/aroma columbus by half and increase the goldings?

If my mash hopping experiment works out I might try that with the goldings instead. I made an IPA with williamette and cascade, I thought it was lacking in aroma so added an oz of columbas. Wow! That is a powerful aroma hop. I hadn't used it for aroma before.

I've always had trouble with this much rye in a batch. What I do now is mash everything else at 152F. In a seperate pot, place the rye & 5 quarts of water at 170F, stir it well to get the starches dissolved (don't splash). When it has cooled to 152F add it to the main mash & stir again.

Denny's Brew said:
That's why I made a FWH of goldings, but you might be right, maybe reduce the flavor/aroma columbus by half and increase the goldings?

If my mash hopping experiment works out I might try that with the goldings instead. I made an IPA with williamette and cascade, I thought it was lacking in aroma so added an oz of columbas. Wow! That is a powerful aroma hop. I hadn't used it for aroma before.

I guess it depends on what you're after. I kinda think you'll be wasting the Goldings in that brew. If you want less of the "American" character, cut down the Columbus (and focus additions to early in the boil) and add more EKG. You'll have to use quite a bit more to keep your IBU's up.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong here. If you're just using what you've got on hand, then go with it. It'll be good. I'm by no means a recipe meister, either. Just throwing in my two pennies. I'd like to hear others' opinions.

I like your yeast choice, too. It's different, but I think the rye will add enough "crispness" to the brew, so it can handle a little sweetness. Besides, this isn't a huge beer, so I think it'll get you down into the 1.010 range no sweat. Just keep your temps reasonable so it doesn't get all buttery and estery. :D

david_42 said:
I've always had trouble with this much rye in a batch. What I do now is mash everything else at 152F. In a seperate pot, place the rye & 5 quarts of water at 170F, stir it well to get the starches dissolved (don't splash). When it has cooled to 152F add it to the main mash & stir again.

Good to know. Will 2.5lbs really gum up a sparge that bad? What are you using in your mash tun? I've got a mash pad/false bottom. I've haven't brewed a rye beer myself yet, but I plan to do my first after the holidays.

just like wheat. gets pretty gummy. you probably wouldn't want over 25% of the grain bill to be rye, but that's just me. i love the crispness it gives an IPA.....

Back