still fermenting after 2weeks... normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
So im not particularly concerned but i was wondering how normal it is to have a beer still fermenting after ~2 weeks. I kind of suspect that my temps might be a bit on the high side due to the esthery smells the beer is giving off through the airlock. I have no way of checking my temp bc i am using a water filled tub with an aqaurium heater to control my fermentation and my stick on thermometer apparently isnt waterproof. I have a good amount of airlock activity yet, probably bubbles once every 20s or so and my krausen has not fallen.
Ambient temp is ~55°, aqaurium heater is set to 68°, the water feels like its where it should be.
Im thinking i am going to either have a very good beer or a very esthery one.

What you're not telling us is the current gravity. If you haven't taken a gravity reading then how do you the beer is still fermenting? An airlock can bubble because of a change in temp, or barometric pressure, or because a truck is going by. And some yeast retain their krausen sometimes for weeks after fermentation has ceased. I have used bottle harvested Hoegaarden yeast there even though 2 consecutive hydrometer readings over a 3 day period (the only way to tell if a beer is done fermenting,) taken on day 12 and 14 confirmed fermentation had ceased, the krausen remained thick on the top of the beer for another 3 weeks.

What yeast are you using?

Also, it doesn't seem like you have very high temps. Of course, this depends on different strains.

However, if for some reason your actual temps are in the low 60s, this could take its time.

I agree with the above poster. Wait at least a couple more weeks and/or just take a hydrometer sample when the airlock is completely done. Only then will you know if you've properly fermented out the rest of the sugars.

Edit: didn't see Revvy's response yet. Listen to him over me every time :)

3068 heffeveiessen. Heffeveissen beer. The directions say only 2 week fermentation but i made the decision before i even brewed to let it primary at least 3 since that seemed short and i didnt see any harm in some extra time.

Back