Single Element Kal Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Dog Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been posting this on my Facebook Page 3 Dog Brewery, and didn't think to post it here until I saw a thread come up on my phone.

Sorry y'all, I've been neglecting you.

Made the first successful bench test this evening with 120V. Tested the Safe Start Interlock and the Control relays.

I still need to add the GFI circuit to the garage and build all the power cables.

s_ControlPanel.jpg

That control unit looks more my speed than the larger ones that folks are putting together, do you have any more info anywhere on how you worked your way through it? are using a 3 kettle system with this? Where is your heating element?

I don't have a lot of additional info on the project. It sort of fell together one weekend. I found a 12x12 enclosure on eBay and a lot auction for 4 single position rotary switches. From there eBay kept referring me to the other parts needed for this project. i didn't even need to search much. I already had the two Auber Pid controllers (one of which is half height) as they are used in my current brewery with a 4800W element that I run off of 120V and use a copper infusion tube that I can pump liquid through to heat it.

To build a unit like this I simply eliminated one of the heating element circuits that Kal has in The Electric Brewery. From the supply relay to the PID (including the Safe Start Interlock) and the outlet on the bottom, all aspects of the "boil circuit" were eliminated. Since I plan to continue boiling with propane (for now) and only using this panel for mashing (both heating strike and sparge water) and controlling pumps to move water and wort. The second (half height) PID has no SSRs connected to it and is used for monitoring temperatures exiting The Therminator plate chiller. The second pump in my system is used for transferring wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle and then to whirlpool/chill boiled wort. Having a temp sensor on the outlet ensures that I'm using liquid hot enough to sanitize the chiller and then tells me when I've chilled adequately for cold break in the whirlpool.

Back