new to mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goblinbrewer

Reaction score
I want to get in to brewing with my own blend of extract but iv been told its not worth it if you don't have the proper kit because its a pain to clean and to actually get the extract out of the pot you mash in. What do you guys think? Should I hold off until I can get the rite kit?

Extract and mashing do not belong in the same sentence. Could you clarify what you are trying to do? You want to blend extracts, or you want to mash and make extracts from the sweet wort?

Need much more information for this one
You mentioned using extract, so should I assume that your only using extract? If this is only extract then I'm afraid to say your in the wrong subforum.
Or are you trying an all grain brew/ or perhaps a partial mash, which is an extract brew with some specialty grains?
Either way, you certainly don't need a kit to brew. Extract kits usually consist of extract, yeast, an hops. Without these 3 components you might want to hold off on brewing.

Could you please list exactly what ingredients you have?

Sorry for being confusing! As you can tell I'm some what of a noob! I'm on about making my own mault from barly?

You don't need a kit to mash.

You will need a hot liquor tank (HLT), a mash/lauter tun (MLT) and a boil kettle (BK).

the MLT can easily be made out of a 10 gallon rubermaid cooler, and adding a stainless steel braid hose in the bottom and installing a ball valve. See FlyGuy's sticky in the "DIY" section for more details. The other two can be large stainless steel or aluminum pots.

I suggest reading John Palmers "how to brew", as it provides excellent information on virtually every area of homebrewing. It isn't really worth it to ask tedious questions and wait for us to answer them. This should answer ALL of your questions.... at least until you get a concrete understanding and have more specific questions. http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Cheers, and good luck

Latest posts

Back