Shelf Life Extract/grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I received 3 extract kits with some grain in bags from austinhomebrew. I didn't plan on brewing these for a while and was wondering how long I can keep them before I brew them and if the quality starts to noticably degrade. I mean can I keep these in the fridge until next spring? Next month? Brew tonight? Has anyone had a problem with keeping extract grain too long?

Are the grains crushed? If they are crushed then i would say you have 1 month (2 max if you have to wait that long but you may start to lose efficiency). If the are not crushed yet they will last much longer. I do recommend keeping them in the fridge. For the extract just keep it in a dry cool place and it should last for you without a problem.

Chromados

I personally keep grain in the freezer to prevent any bugs from springing forward. Extract I keep in the fridge. I've kept both for a week to 1 &1/2 months. I have given the bucket with my malt extract a blast of CO2 and closed the lid on it, did it help preserve it??? I dunno, but it sure made me feel like it did something to protect it.

Now I have experimented with my LHBS slop buckets (they catch the dripping extract from the barrels) and made beer out of them, and the owner can't even tell me how old it is and it's normally a blend of all. He basically gives it to me, because we're friends.

Back