Dried, fresh or extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leviathan126

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to this brewing game. I picked up a nice kit and have only a 1/2 brew under my belt since it hasn't even been bottled yet. With that in mind I'm already planning my next adventure. I was planning on doing something the wife could enjoy as well and came across a recipe for a blueberry ale. My question is in regards to what's better when it comes to fruit. I've read around a bit and it seems it comes down to fresh, dried, frozen or extract. What tends to give a good but not overpowering flavor. If you don't go with extract what's the best way to sanitize the others. I'm sure there's a thread out there for this already but I'm a tard when it comes to forums. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I like the purees (click link). They are already sanitized from the canning process and give you fresh fruit characteristics I've not experience in extracts. So my process is to just clean the can, sanitize the can, sanitize the can opener, open and dump into my secondary fermenter and let sit for "x" period of time.

Thanks for the idea. I wish I would have noticed that on the northern brewer site earlier when I placed my order. Oh well, 2 orders never hurt.

yes the cans are the best. the extracts are ok but only in small amounts. if you only want a small backseat fruit flavor then they work. if you use to much extract then it taste like medicine .... cans are best but they do cost more....

Amazon has Oregon Purees, you might be able to save on shipping. Just don't get the ones "in syrup".

Back