Lager starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pre-pro lager Sunday (first lager). I made a starter about a week ago b/c I knew I wouldn't have time during the week. Well a when I did the starter I was assuming 1.045 OG on 5 gal which mr malty said needs a 2.1L starter on a stir plate... I did a 2L. It's been crashing in the fridge about a week. I brewed a porter last weekend and being my 3rd all grain I have apparently improved, my gravity was up to ~75% from 70%. So I'm thinking I'm going to end up with more like 5.5 gal of 1.045 lager.

Mr Malty says 2.67L starter for this. Now remember this is an American Lager so it's not gonna cover esters well. Do I need to step up this 2L starter? I've heard you should step up bigger than your last volume, but I don't have the means to go bigger than 2L plus I'd be overpitching if I did that.

Help a brotha out experts lager brewers!

IMO you will be fine as is. But if you are really worried about it just use .5 lb less grain.

Also what I do to get ferm started faster is I pitch my yeast at 65*f and let it cool to 50* to give the yeast a head start. It cools at about 1* per hr for me which the yeast will have no problem adjusting to.

From touring lots of breweries and talking to lots of professional brewers this is common practice although you will get some people on here that say not to do that. I always do and my beers turn out clean.

Back