cherry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hewnizit

Reaction score
OK I have a cherry mel going for 3 days now.... I don't have a hydrometer, what's a good time frame or indicator for me to move into secondary?

I would wait untill your airlock has stopped bubbling and then start taking gravity readings. Once it has stopped fermenting you may as well move it to secondary, there's no real reason to move it before that.

My cherry melomel (4lb honey, 3 litres cherry juice). Has just started to come to a stop after about 3 weeks so I will be racking onto some cherries in about a week I think.

I would think getting a hydrometer would be a pretty good start. Are you making this one with baker's yeast as well?

All my Mead's will be using bakers yeast until I can order some real yeast. Same on the hydrometer.

If you are near a store (petco, petsmart, I'm sure others) that sells aquariums you can buy a hydrometer for far less than the cost of 3.5lbs of honey (petco sells one for 3.99 that has a combo thermometer/hydrometer together).

I saw where you put your first mead at 16-18% ABV. How did you calculate that if I may ask?

Tyrone said:
I saw where you put your first mead at 16-18% ABV. How did you calculate that if I may ask?

I got the calculations from gotmead calculator

Tyrone said:
If you are near a store (petco, petsmart, I'm sure others) that sells aquariums you can buy a hydrometer for far less than the cost of 3.5lbs of honey (petco sells one for 3.99 that has a combo thermometer/hydrometer together).

I did not know that.

OK... I don't know why but I finally got a hydrometer and tested the sg. And it came to 0.990-ish been that way all week....could it be the bakers yeast I'm using? Any how here's a pic

ForumRunner_20120319_234403.jpg

Well, if its at that SG then it sounds like its done and can go into secondary to clear. If you wanted it sweet you could also stabalise with sorbate and sulphite and backsweeten.

OK. So I racked it onto a can of Oregon tart red cherries, saving 370 ml to top off with. Let's hope this turns out as planned.

Back