R.I.P. Sparky Anderson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/sports/mlb/tigers/ex-tigers-manager-sparky-anderson-dies-20101104-mr

Ex-Tigers, Reds Manager Sparky Anderson Dead at Age 76

sparky_anderson_20101103090805_320_240.JPG

(WJBK) - Former Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds manager Sparky Anderson has died. He was 76 years old.

Family spokesman Dan Ewald says Anderson died Thursday of complications from dementia at his home in Thousand Oaks, California. It was first reported Wedneday that Anderson was placed in hospice care earlier in the week.

He led Cincinnati's Big Red Machine to World Series wins in 1975-76. He won four National League pennants in Cincinnati from 1970-78, then was fired after consecutive second-place finishes.

Anderson went to the American League and won there, too, directing the Tigers to a World Series title in 1984 and a division title in 1987. He retired after the 1995 season as the Tigers all-time winningest manager and was added to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee.

His total of 2,194 wins as a manager were the third highest when he retired after the 1995 season.

I'm sad to hear of the great Hall Of Fame Skippers' passing. I was just talking about his battles with Lasordas Dodgers.

RIP in peace Skip

Thanks for the memories Sparky. I've been a Tiger fan for 50 + years and will never forget your 17 years as a manager here.

Back