After FG is correct, do you leave the airlock on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Charlie suggests sealing the bucket and removing the airlock after you reach FG. My friend told me to just leave it alone and leave the airlock on there for another week or two. Does anyone have any thoughts on switching lids on the primary bucket so its sealed vs leaving the airlock on until you bottle?

I like leaving the airlock on. For a couple of reasons- one, what if it actually goes down a little more? Also, if the weather warms up a bit, or a front passes through, the co2 dissolved in the beer can start to come out of solution (that's why sometimes brewers see airlock bubbling in a finished beer). Probably not going to put off enough co2 to pop off the lid, but why take the chance if you don't have to?

just leave it alone. there is no reason to take the lid off. The airlock will do its job. If you have reached yor FG and it does not change for 2 or 3 days then you can go ahead and bottle if you want.

Back