Carbonation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
Do commercial brewers have different carbing techniques than us homebrewers? I have a kegerator. My typical procedure is to set the regulator at the desired PSI, wait 7-14 days, and it's ready (or almost ready). I get a nice head, head retention (based on the recipe), etc. But when I compare to a similar style from a commercial brewer, the overall carbing isn't quite the same--the commercial beer has more "depth" to its carbonation and more sharpness (while having the right level of carbonation for the style).

Any thoughts?

I would think a spunding valve which keeps a set psi in the fermenter and then all transfers from there be under co2. pressure. I am only guessing though. I think the taste perception could be that the commercial beer being filtered and making the carbonation stand out more. Though when I pour a Bud the carbonation bubbles do some weird movements that my homebrews don't.

Back