Steps in mead making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to this mead making and all brewing for that fact, I would just like some input on the correct way to make a good mead. So far from my understanding it goes like this.
1. Heat water and honey so not boiling, 140- 150 degrees, to kill wild yeast.
2. Rehydrate yeast and prepare to add to honey water
3. Cool honey water to 70 degrees, add yeast, nutrient and energizer. Shake
4. Insert airlock and let sit, aerating daily?
5. Once the airlock stops bubbling, rack off the mead leaving the sediment. At this point you can add fruits if desired???
6. Leave sit and rack off once sediment builds up.
7. Once the mead clears bottle and let age more.
This is my understanding on the basic procedure, any tips or advice, or anything else I should know?

Pretty close. There's no need to pasteurize the honey though. I've done it totally no-heat: add the honey to clean bottled water, add nutrient + energizer, shake until dissolved. Add yeast. Put on blow off tube and wait.

Racking when bubbling stops is common enough that it must work most of the time, but it'd be somewhat more reliable to check gravity with a hydrometer to verify that it's finished fermenting.

Aeration is desirable until ~ 1/3 of the way through fermentation, and not advised afterwards. Also, rather than adding the full dose of energizer/nutrient before pitching, a staggered addition during the first few days is reportedly more effective. See the faq in the mead section here for details.

The first stage in any batch produced by a new mead maker, should be to read this.

It will answer most Q's, and while Kens book is good, the above link is free.....

Sometimes wonder if FB gets a commision for every person he solicites to the gotmead newb guide lol. Just kidding, it is a great resource.

Latest posts

Back