a different sort of pale ale-critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a very well-balanced pale ale, where the hops meet the malts perfectly, and that doesn't use any C hops. I'm bored of APA's that all taste like 2-row with cascade and centennial in them. what do you guys think of this...

Mini-Mash (which I've never done, only AG and extract, so help maybe needed here)

.5 lb. crystal 20L
.25 lb. crystal 40
1 lb. biscuit malt
1 lb. cara-pils
2 lb. munich

3 lb. extra light DME

Northern Brewer: .25 oz. at 60, 30, 15, and dry
Simcoe: .25 oz. at 60, 30, 15, and dry
Willamette: .25 oz. at 15, 5 and .5 oz. dry

cali ale yeast

so what do you think...the hops and ratio between munich-specialty malts is what i'm concerned the most about.

LOL...I was just thinking that same thing. For a more malty flavor, biscuit works, as well as some aromatic or some victory, but no more than 1/2 lb. A little will go a long way.

cool, i've never used biscuit malt in anything before, always wanted to, but never have. so maybe a 1/2 lb. of it. i thought about both aromatic and victory, but they seem to dark, plus i want to keep it fairly simple, if i don't i'll go overboard on the malt end.

A couple quick thoughts popped in my head (which may not even help):
- Sounds like you are interested in a Pale Ale, i.e. British. They tend to be less hoppy and more balanced.
- I think your grist may be a bit complex, but in any case I would add some two-row. The Munich will self-convert but not have extra diastatic power, I'm not sure the Biscuit will fully convert itself, and I'm positive the carapils will not. 1lb of biscuit may be quite a bit of bicuity flavor based on my recollection of it.
- Don't remember the BU:GU ratio for British PA's from Daniels DGB, but I will try to remember to look at it tonight unless someone beats me to it.

will a lb. of 2-row supply the necesary enzymes?

BTW i'm doing a mini-mash because i'm pissed at my ML-tun but i definitely want to use the biscuit, which i know has no diastatic enzymes. and like i said, i've never done one, don't know the typical ratios. but i will drop the biscuit to a 1/2 lb.

and yes i am in interseted in british pale ales. As i went around tasting pales at a fest last weekend it occured to me that too many taste the same (2-row , crystal and the three C's) and none are very well balanced. One caught my attention, and it tastes almost like a fat tire but not as malty or sweet, with nice fruity and woodsy hop flavors (but not overtly citrusy like all the others), combined with a good bready malt background. the balance of the beer was impeccable. Absolutely the most intersting (and best) pale ale i've had in a long time. So i'm basing this recipe on that beer, knowing for sure that they use N. Brewer and simcoe, as well as other hops i can't remember.

Don't have the diastatic power of 2-row in my head, and I'm scurryin' to a meeting, but if you google 2-row diastatic power you're sure to find out how many adjuncts a lb of 2-row would convert.

drengel said:
cool, i've never used biscuit malt in anything before, always wanted to, but never have. so maybe a 1/2 lb. of it. i thought about both aromatic and victory, but they seem to dark, plus i want to keep it fairly simple, if i don't i'll go overboard on the malt end.

a 1/2lb. - 3/4lb. of victory will really increase the malt flavor. It will darken considerably, but if you use the lightest crystal youll be alright.

i wouldnt do both aromatic AND victory.

have you considered using different yeast?
i dont use cali ale save for porters, i opt for east coast ale, or an english yeast.
you could try an irish ale for a different pa flavor too. Something with a bit more balls then boring ass cali ale...

Bjorn Borg said:
have you considered using different yeast?
i dont use cali ale save for porters, i opt for east coast ale, or an english yeast.
you could try an irish ale for a different pa flavor too. Something with a bit more balls then boring ass cali ale...

i was just thinking the same thing, english ale maybe, never used east coast ale, it's probably worth a shot.

I'm going to stick just to a 1/2 lb. of biscuit on this one, no victory or aromatic...maybe next time.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Don't remember the BU:GU ratio for British PA's from Daniels DGB, but I will try to remember to look at it tonight unless someone beats me to it.

He doesn't seem to really seperate EPAs, APAs, and Bitters consistently.

For commercial PAs and Bitters, he gives a BU:GU average of .80.

He says that four commercial PAs had an average of .89 BU:GU, which contradicts the style guidelines, which would indicate BU:GU of .45 to .71.

6 NHC 2nd-round PAs averaged .91 BU:GU.

(No apparant distinction between EPA and APA)

So the data is all over the map.

In addition to the various comments on the grain bill, I would also recommend using a British yeast strain for a more balanced PA. The IPA that I'm almost done drinking was about 1.065, 50 IBUs, and wyeast 1098 British Ale. It was excellent and very balanced.

(Yes, I have the book at my office. Good Lord, I'm a geek.)

yeah i forgot to mention that it should be around 1.052 and 44 IBU's. i guess its more of an ESB than a pale ale, and I will be using some sort of english strain now.

drengel said:
will a lb. of 2-row supply the necesary enzymes?

BTW i'm doing a mini-mash because i'm pissed at my ML-tun
Been there. :)

drengel said:
and yes i am in interseted in british pale ales.

Looks like you need to replace that cali yeast with an english strain then. I've used Burton Ale yeast before and it was good. Very malty yeast.

I cant believe im saying this but, i think you might want to reduce the ibu's a tad...44 is kind of high with an 1.052 og. If your after balance i would go with under 40.

As a reference i have an east coast pa im drinking now, and it has about 37 ibu's with on og of 1.050. And its definitly balanced towards the bitter end.

and i second Dudes 'Burton ale' yeast that strain rocks!!!

I'm not actually sure on the IBU's, I used pro-mash and they don't have simcoe hops in the system, so i just used nugget as a replacement for IBU calculation cause i believe the AAU% is similar at 13%, but they might be higher than the simcoes, I'm not sure. It might need a little scale back i agree, i mainly was trying to use an even oz. of each hop so none sit in my freezer forever til they go bad. I tend to like pale ales in the 30-40 range, so 44 is high for what i like. I'm sick right now, and decided to make up recipes to kill time, but my heads not quite working right due to the flu...I'll probably come up with a refined version and post it in a hour or so, thanks all for the advice.

edit-- any thoughts on whitbread yeast? anyone used it, i've used london and english ale yeast from white labs, but want to try a new english strain.

drengel said:
edit-- any thoughts on whitbread yeast? anyone used it, i've used london and english ale yeast from white labs, but want to try a new english strain.

Never used that...theres soo many: southwold, bedford, premium bitter, Klassic ale, etc...thier all good im sure. I just dont like the really DRY yeasts.

i was actually thinking of using the super-high gravity ale yeast on a normal gravity ale, just for sh*ts and giggles.

The flu??? its like 70 degrees here!...oh wait im in virginia beach. oops...

p.s. i hear ya about the use of parts of an ounce...i hate when recipes call for .75 ounces for 60 min, i just throw in the whole ounce for 50 minutes or whatever the conversion is.

Here's a new version:

3 lb. extra light DME

.5 lb. crystal 20L
.25 lb. crystal 40L
1 lb. 2-row
2 lb. munich
.5 lb. biscuit malt
1 lb. carapils

Northern Brewer: .25 oz. at 60, 30, 15
Simcoe: .25 oz. at 60, 15, and dry
Willamette: .25 oz. at 15, 5
.5 oz. dry

English Ale yeast strain (whichever kind they have at the store)

Now it's at 1.055 with the added lb. of 2-row, and 38 IBUs with the scaled back hops.

i would sub a lbs. of crystal for the cara-pils...crystal will give you body, and a little sweetness to balance the hops the cara-pils lacks.

Bjorn Borg said:
i would sub a lbs. of crystal for the cara-pils...crystal will give you body, and a little sweetness to balance the hops the cara-pils lacks.

oops...i forgot to write down the crystal. editing.....

drengel said:
oops...i forgot to write down the crystal. editing.....

are you using pro-mash for the ibu calculation?

i know the default utilization is 35 percent for 60 min. which is alot higher then i get with partial-mash (4 gallon) boils. I rate my utilization at 22 percent. i just crunched your hop numbers using 25 % u. for 60 min. and got an ibu of like 26 (8 a.a.u for the n brewer and 12 for the simcoe)

What size boil are you doing?

yeah I'm using pro-mash. i'll probably do a full 5 gallon boil, but i'm not sure what kind of AA utilization that entails.

thanks

Back