Anyone use an 11" false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
I bought the 10 gallon Home Depot/Rubbermaid cooler tonight to convert to a MT. I am looking to order a false bottom for it and noticed that Midwest has an 11" option. Everything I have read so far mentioned a 12" false bottom for the 10 gallon cooler but I am concerned about the FB clearing the barb on the inside of the cooler. Maybe this isn't an issue at all but by all accounts the 12" FB fits "snug" in the 10G.

Does anyone have any experience with the 11"? Or do I need to stop worrying so much and just order the 12"?

Thanks!

[...]Or do I need to stop worrying so much and just order the 12"?

^^^ That. The 12" domed FB actually fits comfortably in that cooler, and if you include a flexible coupling you can raise the FB after brewing to wash out all the post-lautering debris...

10g_mlt_fb.jpg

Cheers!

That is exactly what I needed! So can you slide that FB in with that bulkhead/barb in place or do you have to put the FB in first?

Thanks for the help/photo!

If I need to remove it I remove the clamp near the elbow and pull the barb out of the tubing (it's 1/2" ID reinforced silicone) as I lift the FB out. Goes back in in reverse, no biggie. That said, I've only removed it a couple of times as the tun is actually pretty easily cleaned out...

Cheers!

Good to know. I just got a 10 Igloo from Walmart and am getting everything together to convert. I was also thinking about the 11" FB from Midwest, but it is out of stock. Good to know that the 12" is not as "snug" as advertised. I guess I will order the 12", now waiting on some stainless goodies ordered from BrewHardware to com in. Looking forward to make the move from extract to all grain..

Back