Raspberry Wheat Recipe feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quentin

Reaction score
Looking to try making my first wheat beer for the summer. Since I've yet to make a wheat (I normally stick to pale ales, IPAs, etc) I'd like to harvest some feedback on this recipe. Raspberry Wheat sounded good:

3lb Wheat DME
2lb Extra Light DME
8oz Carapils
8oz Wheat Malt
1oz Willamette pellet hops (60min)
1oz Tettnang pellet hops (5min)
Wyeast American Wheat 1010
3lbs Raspberry Puree in secondary

Any tips, modifications or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

In the fruit beer recipe section
Link

not a Wheat beer but probably similar enough to give you validation on your bill.

And depending on how much Raspberry you want in the end product you may want to increase to a 1lb per gallon ratio on the fruit.

an interesting thing i watched on brewingTV done at dry dock brewing (and in the kits at northernbrewer) is to add the 3lb raspberry puree right into the primary DURING fermentation (about 2-3 days after you pitch the yeast) then at bottlign time add 4oz of raspberry extract. Its supposed to give the fruit taste and aroma without the fake extract taste. this is what i am going to do on my next apricot ale.

here is the link to the kit on northern brewer. the instructions can be found under the adition info tab:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dry-dock-paragon-apricot-blonde-pro-series-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

I currently have a similar recipe going but with dry us wb 06 yeast which gave the base beer more of a hefe taste. Be sure to factor the size of your secondary in your plans if that is where you plan to add the purée. The sugars in the raspberries will trigger a mini fermentation and if you only have a 5 gallon secondary you could have a mess on your hands. That is my case and I added 3 lbs of fresh berries that I froze and thawed at day 8 directly to the primary. I'm letting that sit a week and will then transfer to my secondary for the beer to clear.

Quentin,

Did you make a decision on how you want too add the raspberry flavor to your wheat beer? I used real fruit in the primary after 1 week and now racked to a secondary 1 week after adding the fruit. You definitely need to let this one clear in a secondary or tertiary. I still may add 2oz of extract but I will decide that on bottling day.

Good luck.

Not a fan of extract. I just brewed a strawberry blonde racked secondary on 5 lbs frozen strawberries. It turned out awesome. I went through a case in one week. All my friends were loving the taste. Strawberry aroma and flavor was perfect. No homo but the fruit beers are a lot of fun to homebrew. They always seem to get more reactions from friends.

yeah , i made a raspberry wheat last year and everyone loved it. It didn't last long...GONE. I added the rasberry puree in the primary just as the initial fermentation slowed down. Did not add extract at the end. Would do it again, just maybe not wheat, because I am not a wheat beer fan.

Based on research in the large amount of similar threads and feedback here, I've decided to just use fresh frozen raspberries, and not puree or raspberry flavoring. What I decided to do was rack the beer onto the berries in secondary and let it sit for 10 days.

This is definitely something that appears to have multiple "right ways" to do it, so I'm not terribly worried anymore.

Thanks everyone!

Back