Oskar Blues expanding to NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
Another brewery is moving next to asheville. Oskar Blues will be setting up in Brevard and hopefully will be brewing by Dec. Any other brewery's wanna jump on the bandwagon.

Agreed! I grew up in Brevard and many of the locals are skeptical if O.B. will really take off there. Watching my town turn into "God's waiting room" makes me curious as well. There is a small brewery that just opened on Main Street, but it remains to be seen how it does...

Asheville is rumored to have seven more micros open up, in addition to Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. At least half of those are "outsiders" and seem to have found the bandwagon, as well. So much for keeping it local, Asheville...

It all has to do with transportation costs. The beer could sell terribly in NC and they'd still be more profitable. I'm all for the big guys coming. It's a rising tide. It'll help all of the local breweries.

Asheville is rumored to have seven more micros open up, in addition to Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. At least half of those are "outsiders" and seem to have found the bandwagon, as well. So much for keeping it local, Asheville...

I may be a yankee, but the larger craft breweries moving in isnt a bad thing. It'll generate jobs, and if the local media does anything about it, it should generate interest locally in whatever these 'outsiders' are bringing in - ie, craft beers. PLUS, on top of all that, it gives people an 'in' into the craft beer world where they can get schooled up on how professional breweries work, so maybe they can use it as a jumping point to starting their own brewery.

Take it from someone that lives in an area that abounds in craft breweries, the more the merrier! Local stores that may have had them off their distribution radar will start carrying their stuff, and that means some dude is going to see the Arrogant Bastard label and say "huh, that looks interesting," buy the beer, and get hooked!

Good for Asheville. I don't see why anyone would be opposed to any brewery moving in. It will create a bunch of jobs and tax dollars. That's a win in my book.

It all has to do with transportation costs.

I doubt that the $9+ for a sixer of Dale's will drop in price due to O.B.'s relocation.

I may be a yankee, but the larger craft breweries moving in isnt a bad thing. It'll generate jobs, and if the local media does anything about it, it should generate interest locally in whatever these 'outsiders' are bringing in - ie, craft beers. PLUS, on top of all that, it gives people an 'in' into the craft beer world where they can get schooled up on how professional breweries work, so maybe they can use it as a jumping point to starting their own brewery.

Take it from someone that lives in an area that abounds in craft breweries, the more the merrier! Local stores that may have had them off their distribution radar will start carrying their stuff, and that means some dude is going to see the Arrogant Bastard label and say "huh, that looks interesting," buy the beer, and get hooked!

Asheville already has an amazing beer scene, with 14 or so micro/crafts in the area. I'm just agreeing that all of the sudden, three big crafts are "jumping on the bandwagon" of the Beer City title and edging in a market that has been mostly started and maintained by locals. For a city that prides itself on everything local, I just find it interesting that it all goes out the window concerning certain industries. I'm sure I'm not the only one in WNC who feels that way...

The city may pride themselves on being "local," but the chamber of commerce probably has more pride in their ability to grow the city, make money through tax revenues and create jobs. If your local micros are good, people will still support them. It's not like your city is the only place they're gonna be selling Dale's. It will probably affect the whole east coast.
I'd be giddy if someone like Southern Tier, Founders, Bells, Three Floyd's, etc moved to Texas and allowed me to buy their beer without having to jump through hoops.

SevenSeaScourge said:
I doubt that the $9+ for a sixer of Dale's will drop in price due to O.B.'s relocation.

Duh. Reduction of costs for the brewery, not you. They're not coming here for the beer city usa title, they're here for economies of scale and shipping cost reduction. More power to them. It'll help nc breweries more than it will hurt.

Cool I hope this leads to distribution here eventually, I needs me some Dales and ten fidy

Latest posts

Back