Cleaning a 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bottled our first batch. Any suggestions on how to clean our 5 gallon glass carboy? There is a lot of solid material stuck to the interior of the carboy. Thanks!

I have heard oxy-free does a good job of cleaning the gunk off, but I am not sure what concentration is recomended or how long to soak.

priapismismyname said:
Just bottled our first batch. Any suggestions on how to clean our 5 gallon glass carboy? There is a lot of solid material stuck to the interior of the carboy. Thanks!

warm water and a carboy brush normally does the trick for me.

I have used bleach solution (eyeball about half a cup/5gal) with cold water over night w/ good success. This is what Papazian recommends in his book. Use a brush to scrub off the gunk and let the rest sit overnight and it comes right out. Anything left unintentionally will be nuked by the bleach. Just make sure you rinse it out good w/ hot water.

Regards,
Al

Use some Oxyclean or PBW, soak about 2oz in five gallons of warm water overnight and then you won't have to do any scrubbing, actually it may take a day or two depending on how bad it is. But literally you can watch all the crap fall off the sides.

Cheers

Oxyclean is definately the way to go. It may take a couple days but will remove everything.

A bottle washer works great for rinsing out all the soapy residue and any leftover bits clinging to the walls.

I clean mine just after racking, and it cleans up no problem with a carbuoy brush. Takes about 5 minutes.

Your local hardware store (not big box) probably has an offbrand oxyclean for like
$1.00 per container. I use that pretty liberally with carboys and to remove lables from bottles.

Back