Steeping bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercanman

Reaction score
Hi, just a few more questions about the IPA I'm brewing before I get started.

1. How Do I sanitize the stepping bag?
2. How do I close off the steeping bag, and do I just let it sit or float around in the brewpot for the time that the instruction say, or is there anything else I need to know about this process?

Thanks, this is my first batch and these are the only remaining questions I have left. I think I'm fairly sure about everything else. Thanks, Beercanman:)

So long as the bag is clean, the hot water will take care of the nasties.
Tie it off with a piece of string (google miller's knot)
Just let it float around
Don't pack the bag, about 1/2 full is best. If you have too much grain in a bag, the water can't circulate.

Yeah, that's what I do. I never fill it more than half full, so I tie a knot in the top.
However, my grain bag always sinks...so I use a small piece of string to tie it to one of the handles of the brew pot to keep it from scorching on the bottom.

I do the same as listed above. Remember not to squeeze the bag to get all of the water out when you remove it. Lift it out and put in a strainer or something. Then run a couple cups of hot water over it to "sparge" the goodies out.

Thanks again guys. You sure do know your home brewing. I'll be there someday to help the new guys eventually. Beercanman:)

Back