Yep, I actually want to make this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
I like the Yuengling Black and Tan in a bottle . I know, I know.

Anyway - I am thinking for my next brew adventure it would be cool to brew two batches, and blend them, kinda in the same spirit, and bottle.

1) Has anyone done this? ( I know someone has got to have, but you know what they say about never asking a question, nd you never know the answer..)

2) Suggestions for brews? I am still an extract brewing with steeping grains level kind of guy - this will be an adventure as I said.

3) What would the ratios be?

Thanks guys!

don't have an answer for ya but I've been wondering the same thing. surely someone here knows..

Just brew a porter and a cream ale (or lager if you can). Then mix them individually each time you want one. That is historically what a "real" black and tan is.

This is much easier from a keg than if you bottle, but if you don't want to end up with 24 oz servings you could buy 8 oz. cokes from the grocery store to give you 16 oz servings...but that is a lot of coke to drink!

PS. I love Yuengling's black an tan too if I am in the mood for something dark and all I have is imperial stouts or no stouts. Plus it is under $1/bottle for 6 packs!

Just brew a porter and a cream ale (or lager if you can). Then mix them individually each time you want one. That is historically what a "real" black and tan is.

This is much easier from a keg than if you bottle, but if you don't want to end up with 24 oz servings you could buy 8 oz. cokes from the grocery store to give you 16 oz servings...but that is a lot of coke to drink!

PS. I love Yuengling's black an tan too if I am in the mood for something dark and all I have is imperial stouts or no stouts. Plus it is under $1/bottle for 6 packs!

See, I make them now ( I love a Bass Ale under a Duck Rabbit Porter - YUM YUM! ), and have a ball, but I am actually looking for the novelty / kitsch of doing them in the same " blended in bottle" style.

See, I make them now ( I love a Bass Ale under a Duck Rabbit Porter - YUM YUM! ), and have a ball, but I am actually looking for the novelty / kitsch of doing them in the same " blended in bottle" style.

Sounds like a fun experiment. There are a few issues you might look out for. Try finding a cream ale/lager/something light recipe and a porter recipe that use the same yeast. If you have ever read my posts you would know I am going to reccomend pacman, but US-05 or nottingham would both work great.

I have no idea what happens when you mix yeast (I'm talking about at bottling time), but I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Otherwise, try it, rack half of each (If 1:1 is the correct ratio for a black and tan) into two buckets, prime and bottle that ***** up!

Do you think Youngling actually brews two batches and then mixes them in a bottle? I have no idea, of course, but would find that surprising. Rather, I think I would figure out what the final product is I'm looking for (post-mixing) and come up with the recipe and process to get there.

Its been a while since I've had a black and tan, but mixing one for yourself and then taking tasting notes would be one place to start.

Do you think Youngling actually brews two batches and then mixes them in a bottle? I have no idea, of course, but would find that surprising. Rather, I think I would figure out what the final product is I'm looking for (post-mixing) and come up with the recipe and process to get there.

Its been a while since I've had a black and tan, but mixing one for yourself and then taking tasting notes would be one place to start.

They claim ( and I actually have a little respect for Yuengling, I believe them ) that it is a blend of their Porter ( which i like ) and 'Premium Beer" - I do not know if that is the Lager, Lord Chesterfield of what not.

When I was on the brewery tour in Pottsville the guide said that they blend their porter and their premium beer in a 3:2 porter to premium ratio. According to him they also use the same yeast for all of their beers. Also there is a pretty close recipe for their porter in the Clonebrews book.

When I was on the brewery tour in Pottsville the guide said that they blend their porter and their premium beer in a 3:2 porter to premium ratio. According to him they also use the same yeast for all of their beers. Also there is a pretty close recipe for their porter in the Clonebrews book.

Thanks for the ratio!

And so far as brews , I just got way from Midwest's site - and they have a cream ale with Safale 05, and a Porter with Safale 04.

Ran a thread search, and think I will just get another packet of the Safale 05 ( according the the thread, less flavor affectation ) and use it in the Porter.

That does it- gonna place an order as soon as I post this! :mug:

SO, at a 3:2, I should get around 48 bottles of "black and tan, then have leftovers of 30 bottles of cream ale, and 18 or so of porter.

Sounds like a pretty fun adventure in my near future!

Yuengling uses a lager yeast in all their beers.

Hmmm. you just did beat the clock ( my blackberry beeped as I was reviewing my order screen. )

Suggestions for a lager yeast for this beast folks, or run with the Safale US 05 ?

They claim ( and I actually have a little respect for Yuengling, I believe them ) that it is a blend of their Porter ( which i like ) and 'Premium Beer" - I do not know if that is the Lager, Lord Chesterfield of what not.

I'm pretty sure 'Premium' is an ale.

Their premium is neither their "Yuengling Lager" or LC ale. People in Pottsville tend to like the "premium" while everyone else likes the "lager."

Back