First try at a clone - Ruination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FowlerBlades

Reaction score
I've been through a couple sixpacks of Stone's Ruination IPA and couldn't help but want to try and get a batch going.

unfortunately I don't have a setup for doing All-Grain yet so the guy at my LHBS (Brewmaster's Warehouse) helped me try to convert an AG recipe to extract

take a look and let me know what you think:

12Lb Briess Golden Light LME
.5Lb Breiss 2 Row Caramel 20 (for steeping a little fresh grain flavor)
.5Lb Breiss 2 Row Caramel 10 (also for steeping)
Millenium Hops - 2.25 oz
Centenial Hops - 4 oz
WL007 Dry English Ale yeast

my plan is to start with 3 gal tap water
steep the grains in a mesh bag for 60min at 158 F
Start a 90 Min boil with 6Lb of LME and all of the Millenium Hops
add remaining LME at 20 min
add 2oz Centennial hops at 5 Min

then use final 2oz Centennial to dry hop

Any thoughts??? this is my first try at brewing a clone and I'm already stacked against as all the clone recipes I could find are AG

did you try to use beersmith2 by chance? you can enter your clone recipes and then there is a nifty button to "convert to extract"

You've just got to be careful to set up your equipment profiles correctly to have good results. The software has a free 21 day trial you can use to try this.

Once you brew, please let us know how it is- i'd like to clone ruination as well at some point.

There was a recipe in BYO a few months back, I'll see if I can copy and post later. Have not brewed it yet although it's on my schedule to brew in the next couple of weeks

Stone Ruination IPA Clone

Size: 5 Gallons
OG 1072
FG 1012
IBUs 100+
SRM 12
ABV 7.7%

8lbs 8oz Golden/Light Liquid Malt Extract
1lb 2 Row Malt
14oz Crystal Malt 15L

2.25 oz Magnum @ 60 min
1.5 oz Centennial @ 15 min
2 oz Centennial Dry Hop 3-5 Days

Yeast - WLP002 (English Ale)

Step by Step:
Steep crushed grains in 3qts. H2O @149* for 45 min.
Sparge with 2.25 gallons H2O @170* (bring volume up to 3 gallons)
Add 1/2 of LME & bring to a boil
Boil for 60 minutes adding hops per schedule
Add remaining LME & 1 Tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
Cool wort to 70*, transfer to fermenter
Aerate & Pitch Yeast
Leave in primary for 2 weeks, transfer if needed and Dry Hop 3-5 days

Pretty sure this is the extract recipe from BYO.

Anyway I am going to give this one a try in the next couple of weeks as time allows

I'd sh*t can all or at least the crystal 10, and sub in 5%-8% corn sugar in place of one or the crystal malts, as with extract already having carapils in it and using a crystal malt, getting a west coast style double ipa down to 1.010-1.012 is tough or impossible without sugar.

If it were my beer:

5 gallons

OG 1.070-1.072
FG 1.010-1.012

.5lb c20
9lbs briess golden lme
1lb corn sugar

That should get you down to 1.010 which is where I'd want my IIPA. Extract brewing often takes an unfair hit by some brewers because their beers often end up sweet and under attenuated, which is not the extracts fault. Subbing in corn sugar is a perfect way to dry the beer out to where it would be with an AG brew with a low mash temp.

brewed this up last night.

After some reading here I altered my original recipe and mashed the fresh grains in 3Qt of water at 158 as I had almost no chance of conversion with 3 Gal.

I didn't manage to get full conversion from the 1LB of grain (checked with iodine drops) but as it's not crucial to the gravity I hope it will be ok.

after steeping the grains for 1 hour I drained the grain bag into the boil kettle and topped up to 5 Gal, I was running at 1.045 gravity in my boil

I did hit my gravity at 1.076 at 75F with 5.5Gal

smelled fantastic going into the tank now I wait two weeks and dry hop for another week.

Thanks
Stephan

What did you alter it to? Let me know how it turns out as I plan on brewing the BYO recipe next week that I posted.

my original plan was to start with 3 Gallons of water with my grains but I changed it to 3 Qts to try and allow some enzyme activity (still a little too much water from what I've read)

and then I upped the boil volume to 5 gallons since I was at my brother's and he has a 7 Gal pot (mine is a lowly 4Gal) which allowed me some more volume. and running my boil gravity around 1.050 should help get all the bitterness possible from the Millenium hops

I like the recipe I posted, which seems to be very similar to the BYO recipe. I haven't made the extract version, though, but it seems dead on.

Yeah, I'm planning to start building a tower next month to get into all grains.

I'm a blacksmith/knifemaker so I've got scrap all around to build with and I'm a good hand with a welder.
My biggest issue is space.

but your Ruination clone is probably the first thing I'm going to try

Racked this to a secondary and added the 2oz of Dry Hops two days ago and the smell was absolutely wonderful.

FG was 1.021 so I think it's coming along great.

we'll be bottling on Monday.

Thanks

bottled last night and the flat sample tasted very good.

I'll have to wait until it's carbed up to really know but I really don't think I hit that ruination voodoo.

hoping it's the priming sugar that was throwing me off.

Also I didn't put enough ballast in the hop bag for dry hopping so it was just floating on top. might have made a difference. The only way to know is to brew a whole nother 5 gal and add more weight to the hop bag. It's a rough life but I suffer through as best as I can.

;-)

Finished with attempt of the BYO recipe, OG was a little off at 1064. I Probably did not mix well enough when Mixing wort with 3 gallons of H2O. We will see, lots of hops!

Dry hopped today with the 2 ounces of Centennial, drew a sample to check gravity, came in at 1010 ( was a little low with original gravity) have to say I was impressed with the flat sample. Pretty clear for an extract version, golden color, clear and had a very nice hop presence. Can't wait to bottle and drink this for Memorial Day gatherings upcoming as well as share with family and cohorts. All in all solid recipe and outcome so far.

bottled last night and the flat sample tasted very good.

I'll have to wait until it's carbed up to really know but I really don't think I hit that ruination voodoo.

hoping it's the priming sugar that was throwing me off.

Also I didn't put enough ballast in the hop bag for dry hopping so it was just floating on top. might have made a difference. The only way to know is to brew a whole nother 5 gal and add more weight to the hop bag. It's a rough life but I suffer through as best as I can.

;-)

I've been drinking this brew pretty steady for the last week.

heads up beautifully and has great retention.

I think it tastes great but it's definitely not quite the same as ruination. close but not quite, it's 95% there for bitterness but the fresh hop scent and front end tang is different

also it's a little cloudy for my preference with an IPA

Back