Citrus in beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have a good friend who drinks nothing but that skunked corona. He puts a lime in it too. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a beer and put some fresh lime juice in it? (i cant stand it but he loves it). There is a cerveza recipe which sounds like a corona clone. can I put lime juice in it, and if so how much as not to kill the beer taste???

I don't know about the juice of the lime but maybe using the zest or even the peels. I have to think that the oils are in the skin and is what would give you more bang for the buck. Some years ago I used some homemade dried orange peels in a Whit beer with no ill effects. I don't remember how pronounced the flavor was but it was not something I regretted. I don't remember how much I used but should have been around 1/4-1/2 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

PT Ray-

At what point in the process did you add the orange peels? Add to secondary, as with fruit? Or is boil required to extract oils from the peel?

I attended a brewfest in Reno one time and tried a mildly orange flavored beer from some obscure brewery in California and ended up not going anywhere else for the rest of the night. Man, that was good beer.

AHU

Bert Grant's makes a Mandarin Hefeweizen that is awesome. It's really not much of a hefe.....just a really clean base beer with a definite orange flavor to it. I'm not big on drinking beer to quench my thirst, but this stuff is probably the most refreshing beer I've ever had.

I don't know how they do it, though. Seems to me that using actual juice would come out really sour, because the sugars would ferment. So, I don't know how they do it, but it is possible.

I couldn't find a website for the brewery, but here's an article about it:http://www.wisinfo.com/postcrescent/news/beerman/beer_13251383.shtml

Hopefully someone will have some ideas, because I too would like to know how to do it.

Hmmmmm...??
I was thinking about taking a few lime rinds and a lil juice and boiling them for about 5-10 mins to get the oils out of them and then taste it (as to get an idea of flavor and aroma). Then if that is to my likes, add this to the secondary near bottling time, the let it meld together in thier bottles in the garage by the window so it gets skunked.

Maybe, maybe not, that is the question.

JOHN51277 said:
Hmmmmm...??
I was thinking about taking a few lime rinds and a lil juice and boiling them for about 5-10 mins to get the oils out of them and then taste it (as to get an idea of flavor and aroma). Then if that is to my likes, add this to the secondary near bottling time, the let it meld together in thier bottles in the garage by the window so it gets skunked.

Maybe, maybe not, that is the question.
Don't forget the clear bottles!

In my blue moon clone I used coriander for that orange taste (common ingredient BTW). I also purchased some bitter orange peel from the local homebrew shop... they sell sweet orange peel as well. I also put a bit of lemon zest in there too.

I think if you're adding spices you should do that at the end of the boil and then add a bit more, if necessary, in the secondary. As for zest/peel that goes in the boil in the last 10 or 15 min. I would think that juice would be best added right before you drink it. I don't know what would happen if you added it to the fermenter or boil. Anyhow, I know blue moon is served around here with an orange slice or a shot of orange juice... good stuff but its fine without the extra orange IMO.

Yeah I have about 100 corona bottles I want to use for the bottling of this brew. Does anyone know if they are able to be capped. This is about the only thing I would use them for. And let them get lots of sun on them. I have a two handled red capper, I know you can turn the die around on each side for sizes. but not sure about it. (someone chime in and tell me to go try it on one DUH) I have enjoyed a few too many brews tonight maybe.

Back