Pumpkin Seeds.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenVanned

Reaction score
Well gents, its October which means pumpkins are in abundance. Im looking to do my first brew soon. Im looking to possibly do something with pumpkin seeds maybe on my second brew. Could you guys give me some ideas or pointers on this?

Just use pumpkin. Cut it up into cubes roast it for about an hour @ 375. Toss it in the mash if you are doing AG or put it in a muslin bag for partial mash.

I have a couple recipes that I brew that have toasted hulled pumpkin seeds, I have never tried making a beer with them still in the shells.

I assume that instead of scooping them out of the jack'o lantern andtoasting them with some salt you want to make beer out of them?

Yea I assumed they would need to be hulled. Ide imagine that brewing with the hulls would render a lot of off flavors. I would be toasting them and adding them with my extracts. I suppose the question lies with should I boil them when I boil my wort or should I add them afterward? And yes. I will be keeping the seeds out of my jack-o-lantern. I have the standard aladdin pumpkin, fairytale, and a wee-be-little. Im sure I will be obtaining more varieties of pumpkin before the season is over.

I would hull them and toast the seed meats, crush them and add to your steeping grains.

I brew All-Grain so I mill them and mash the seeds with the grain for an hour, then drain and brew as usual. I find it gives a nice subtle nutty flavor to the beer.

I have heard you can also rack your beer onto the toasted seeds in a secondary as well, another option for you to try.

Latest posts

Back