Kettle Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Looking at adding a bulkhead thermometer to my 40Qt SS kettle, the kettle has a 15" diameter. Torn between one with a 2" probe and one with a 6" probe.

My first thought was a 2" probe will be less likely to get bent because it doesn't stick out as far as a 6" probe, but on the other hand a 6" probe will be closer to the center of the wort and I would think this would provide a better temp reading.

Thoughts?

I'd go with the 2". You can always stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if your worried about hot/cold spots. You will be hitting the 6+" with everything...ask Ron Jeremy!

I'd go with the 2". You can always stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if your worried about hot/cold spots. You will be hitting the 6+" with everything...ask Ron Jeremy!

Makes sense....and I just found my signature quote....THANKS!!!:rockin:

I just put a 6" on mine, but it only comes through the kettle about 4.5 in. due to the bushings, washers, and kettle itself. I don't think much would hit it and definitely not bend it; it's pretty stout. Much thicker than one of those long therms. that sit on the edge of the kettle.

I use the 2" probe and even when I stir it rarely changes the reading.

Are you referring to Ron Jeremy's back hair?

I just put a 6" on mine, but it only comes through the kettle about 4.5 in. due to the bushings, washers, and kettle itself. I don't think much would hit it and definitely not bend it; it's pretty stout. Much thicker than one of those long therms. that sit on the edge of the kettle.

Do you need a bushing? Mine goes directly through the keggle wall with a washer and rubber o-ring on each side. By the way...I love your avatar. Those kegs are HOT!

Latest posts

Back