False Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of cider, I gallon. I added 1 campden tablet per gallon so, in this case just one tablet--it has been in pimary for maybe 3 hours without yeast added yet and I think it is starting to bubble--should I add more campden to supress wild yeast? will 2 talets for 1 gallon really give too much sulphur

thanks

actually I dont know the type of apple, I'm in Korea and cant translate apple types, but I squeezed it myself with strainer--also some asian pears are mixed as well

Talcottsk said:
actually I dont know the type of apple, I'm in Korea and cant translate apple types, but I squeezed it myself with strainer--also some asian pears are mixed as well

I asked to see if you were using a commercial apple juice which are usually pasteurised or fresh fruit (the actual variety doesn't matter - no worries :)). Fresh fruit harbour wild yeasts on the skins so you did the right thing by adding campden.
If it's still bubbling with no yeast added by you then add more campden - One dissolved tablet in a gallon should have been enough to kill wild yeasts but another tablet won't hurt - the sulphites will disperse!. If you do use another just give it 24hrs before you pitch your own yeast.

I added another campden tab. and it quit bubbling--24 hours later I pitched my yeast and now its another 24 and its really bubbling good--about every 8 secs--thanks for the help!

Back