Trub in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyhigh

Reaction score
Okay, I was siphoning into my bottling bucket and walked away to do some other stuff. When I came back my little helper (aka wife) was stiring the secondary with the racking wand. Well I need that bucket for another batch and I botteled anyway. Is it going to hurt the beer or will it just leave a layer of trub in the bottom of the bottles.

Thanks
Ryan

Eek. That was unlucky. Was there much crud at the bottom of the secondary to start with?

I wouldn't worry about it. I have only just started using a secondary and have not had a problem with off tastes from a lot of sediment in the bottles. You have kinda just racked from primary in this case with less crud so you will have less than what I had so relax and look forward to drinking them.

As for the wife... you lucky sod. mine wants to kill me!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. It's mostly yeast in the bottom of the secondary. It will re-settle in the bottles. Just pour carefully when it's ready.

The trub will settle to the bottom, no problem. I'd be more concerned with oxidation from stirring. Drink it fairly quickly, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Lorena

Even the little bit of oxygen introduced won't be a problem, I think. The yeast will consume it while carbonating the bottles. I've done my share of splashing, and I have yet had a bottle go bad due to that. Leave the bottles in a 110 degree garage for a while and that's a different story...:eek:

orfy said:
Drink it blind folded and I don't think it'll be a keeper.
It'll be fine!

I hope you didn't shout too much.

I did not yell at her. I just said DOH. I have convinced her that brewing beer is a great thing to do togehter and a marriage builder. I not sure how much longer she will by this story but I can buy a ton of cool stuff in the mean time :)

But thanks guys for all the input. I will try to drink the beer quickly and hopefully it will turn out.

Latest posts

Back