I have fresh figs starting to ferment: wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hovik

Reaction score
Hi HBT,
I have access to a couple of very productive fig trees at the moment and cannot eat the fresh figs fast enough. As a result I am getting a steady flow of fresh figs that are beginning to ferment on their own. Rather than throw them in the compost I was hoping someone here might have some ideas on how I can make a batch of fig wine or mead.

The main problem (as I see it) is that they aren't all starting to ferment at the same time. I am picking from the tree every 2-3 days and some of them are already fermenting on the tree and some are fermenting a day or two after harvesting in my refrigerator. I was thinking maybe I should throw the ones that are fermenting right in the freezer until I am done harvesting for the year and THEN take them out and proceed to make the wine, or is there another way?

Any help and direction on this (and maybe even some recipe ideas) would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hovik

Back