Panicked after mash on my Belgian Tripel.. Golden LME vs. invert sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanvp123

Reaction score
Well, I was mashing my Belgian Tripel and during mash I may have had several homebrews, maybe one too many.. I panicked and noticed my gravities of my runnings were lower than expected. I thought my efficiency was just horribly low (just my second all-grain batch)

However, I completely forgot to consider the fact that I was planning to add 2 lbs of invert sugar.
So I did some calculations and added 3 lbs of golden LME i had sitting around to my wort before boil (It was supposed to be all grain.. oops) to reach a reasonable OG.

I am about to add another .5 oz of bittering hops to offset the extra malt.

RDWHAHB for sure.. I imagine it will still be delicious, don't believe i did anything that will ruin the beer, but not sure it will actually match the style as I had hoped.

Still planning to add 1 lb of invert sugar just to try to remain close to my original plan. I imagine my OG just before racking to primary will be higher than my planned recipe, but should still be at the high range for the style (1.085 ish)

So I guess the real question is, what effect will using the extra golden LME instead of invert sugar have on the final product?

Thanks guys, cheers!

you will get higher FG, triples should be high alcohol, light body and dry, adding less sugar in your situation seems right thing to do but you should rather consider adding the same or more sugar (but with range of OG/abv for triples) to dry your beer but its hard to advice without knowing your numbers

It won't be as dry so it'll have more sweetness and body and it'll be a few shades darker than expected.

Adding more sugar now won't dry the beer out any more, you added unfermentable sugars when you added extract and that damage is done unless you feel like adding Brett to it and making a totally different beer.

that's about what i figured, damage is a subjective term though, it may not be a proper tripel, but i am hopeful to still get a tasty albeit very strong beer out of it ;) Thanks for your input! Cheers

Haha, yea I didn't really mean to say damage so much as I meant to say "the sugars are there". It should be a good beer still. Good luck!

Back