Grolsh bottle prices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering how much most of you pay for your Grolch 16 oz bottles?

I haven't seen the Brown ones around here for several years now. Just green ones. It seems they've replaced the cermaic stopper with a plastic stopper. Probably last longer but doesn't seem as nice. Same shape though.

Funny thing, for a while you couldn't buy grolsch here in the bottle. Just 500ml Cans. I think the liqour board must have smartened up becasue the green bottles are back and are sellng for about the same price as the cans did. Currently $2.50 Canadian per bottle.

I wish they'd switch back to the brown ones. The green grolch always tastes skunky. I was buying it for the bottles but the skunky taste is kind of making me rethink that idea.

Yeesh, I bought four 16oz bottles of various imports the other day and it cost me more than it did to brew 5 gallons! Another reason I'm glad I started brewing again.

In the UK I've found one retailer selling 16oz bottles at £1.25 a bottle in green bottles.I bought 8 and have decided it's not worth me sacrificing drinking time on them.
I'd rather pay £1 per bottle from the LHBS for brown empties.
Given the price difference of 25p that I get the grolsh beer for, I'd say that's about the right value of the Grolsh. I'd rather have my HB made for around the same price.

i go to the store and pay the deposit on returned bottles and get a case of 16 or 20 .5 liter flip top for about $6. i told the manager what i'm doing and he said i can have all i want for the cost of return!! i even get the plastic crate to hold em in!!!

I haven't seen the brown one in ages around here. A friend who went to N. Europe on vacation brought me back 12 empty brown ones, though! Best part of it was, I didn't have to drink a drop of Grolsch!

justbrewit said:
i go to the store and pay the deposit on returned bottles and get a case of 16 or 20 .5 liter flip top for about $6. i told the manager what i'm doing and he said i can have all i want for the cost of return!! i even get the plastic crate to hold em in!!!

Oh the adavantages of living overseas.

I could do that when I was in the UK but down here in Texas, they don't return bottles anymore. I've tried and they aren't to be had.

McGrath Brewery said:
In my LHBS in the UK they sell Grolsh flip cap bottles for 30p each or 20 bottles for £5...

McGrath, are they Grolsh style ambers, Or actual green Grolsh bottles?
What size and where?

Oh the adavantages of living overseas.

I could do that when I was in the UK but down here in Texas, they don't return bottles anymore. I've tried and they aren't to be had.

Scott, They haven't done deposits for years now, off licences don't take returns all the supermarkets have recycle bins.

In north Texas, I paid $45 for a 24-bottle case of 16 oz flip top Grolsches, or $1.88/bottle. I think they were $1.50 empty at my local HBS, so it seemed a no-brainer. As I am fond of telling my beloved, I "couldn't afford not to" buy the case.

Grolsch is $1.69 at the Fred Meyer (full of course), and the bottles are $1.50 empty at the LHBS, so I figure the beer must be worth at least 19 cents. Don't like the green glass too much though.

If you are in Oregon and have a network of folks that get Grolsch style bottles returned to their store, they will happily sell them for 5 cents (the deposit amount). It doesn't happen often, but it's awesome when that deal comes through!

Cheers!

Any of you guys close to Portland wanna buy some green flippies? I will sell you 55 green grolsch bottles for dirt cheap. How about 40 bucks? Thats 72 cents a bottle. Or I'll trade you 2 of my green bottles for each 1 of your brown swing-tops.

Back