Sparge Question (Using Beersmith)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is my first AG and I entered the recipe into Beersmith to figure out all my temps and such...but I think I made a mistake, or did i?

Grain bill is 16# (Its a porter as I love porters)

Recipe says Mash In @ 153 for 60 and Out @ 170 for 10...

So I entered that in...all good so far

The part I have concerns with is Beersmith tells me to Sparge with 2.17 gallons of water after 18.4qt MashIn and 9.12qt MashOut...Is that right?

7 Gallon Mash with a 2 Gallon Sparge?

Target Gravity is 1.074 and I figures since it was my first time my Efficiency would be around 60%ish untill I get the hang of it.

Did I screwup even before I started?

[Oh and I've been a lurker for a bit on these forums and really need to thank everyone on here for all their questions and posts. Its taken all the scare out of AG and, unless I've royally screwed this up, really has me looking forward to the next steps of my homebrewing!]

That's a really big grain bill which is why you're getting a big mash volume and small sparge volume. Your options are:

1) Use the volumes as given.
2) Change the Water/Grain Ratio to give you a thicker mash leaving you more to sparge with.
3) Increase your boil time (which will increase your boil volume and sparge volume).
4) A combination of 2 and 3.

I would probably opt for option 4.

16# at 1.25qts/lb is 20 quarts or 5 gallons strike water.

Grain will absorb about 2 gallons so you'll run off 3 gallons first runnings.

Sparge volume would be about 3.5-4 gallons depending on how big your pot is and how much evaporation you get.

Are you planning to batch sparge?

Where in NJ are you? I could peek over your shoulder if I'm available when you do this.

Definitely planning on Batch Sparging

My pot is huge its a big arse 20 Gal Fryer I got dirt cheap and the Tun is an Igloo Ice Cube Cooler I converted (60qt or so it says).

How long can you boil a brew before it narfs it all up?

And I'm to Philadelphia as you are to New York ;)

I'm in Tabernacle...or since you (and the rest of the free world) have no idea where that is, let's say Camden.

Ok, so I'd suggest this:

5 gallons mash.
At the end of the 60 minute mash, add .5 gallon near boiling water stirring it in well, recirculate about 2 quarts to clear the runoff. Drain the tun fully (you'll get about 3.5 gallons)
Add 3.5 gallons of 175F sparge water, stir, recirculate a few quarts, drain that.

Boil. You should boil down 7 gallons to 5.5 in a 70 minute boil.

Back