First AG Batch - mash out or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizmark23

Reaction score
Alright... So Im making the jump to AG and have a question about "mashing out". Im using a cooler for my mash tun and had planned on fly-sparging. If I "mash out" how would I raise the temp to 170deg?

I have seen some say to sparge w/water at a higher temp... say like 190deg. Ive seen others say not to bother at all w/mashing out.

Apologize in advance if this seems like a basic question, just trying to make sure Im not missing something.

Thanks and CHEERS!

The higher temp is for batch sparging, for the nuances of fly sparging someone else will need to chime in as I always batch sparge.

I don't think I've ever done an "official" mashout. I batch sparge, and the water is usually at about 170 but I know the grain doesn't get that high.

I'm posting here so someone can tell me I'm doing it wrong!

For fly sparging a mash out is a good idea. For batch sparging, sparging with 180-190f water will do the same thing, but fly sparging takes much longer and the mash out denatures the enzymes and locks in your fermentability profile. If the enzymes aren't halted by the mash out you could wind up with a drier beer than intended.

I don't think I've ever done an "official" mashout. I batch sparge, and the water is usually at about 170 but I know the grain doesn't get that high.

I'm posting here so someone can tell me I'm doing it wrong!

You're doing it wrong.:D

HAahahhaa, OK, so besides the previously stated denaturing, you should also be able to lauter the wort more efficiently, increasing your extraction efficiency, thus decreasing the amount of malt you use by gaining the most sugars from the mash, etc, etc. . . .

Ok, first THANK YOU for the replies! Great to know I can get help this quick... makes my first AG batch a little less nerve racking.

My main concern was raising the temp in a plastic cooler... obviously I cant fire it. After playing w/beersmith a little I found the answer to my question.

Thanks again... big help from all.

CHEERS!

Latest posts

Back