Can I brew all grain with this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlzHighmer

Reaction score
10 gal. aluminum pot
10 gal. stainless
16 gal. brew pot false bottom(3/32 holes,seems large),screen and temp gauge
30 Gal. stainles
All but one have spigots
Can you keep a mash temp in a pot with a gas burner or do I have to insulate somehow?

Once you hit your strike temp, mash in, get to your mash temp, turn the fire off, put the lid on, then wrap the pot with some sort on insulation, towels, blankets, etc.

Yes you should be able to do it, may take some practice.

I do BIAB all-grain in 1 10g Aluminum pot with no spigot...so you should definitely be able to do that.

If you want the full 3-tier, again I am sure you can set it up for that, but it will involve some work.

As far as keeping mash temps, I use 1 old polar-fleece blanket that was just sitting aorund the house not used anymore. I fold it over on itself about 4 times, and loosely bungee it around my brew kettle (all around the sides and over the top, bottom is exposed, but it is on the warm stove...), I lose 1-2* tops over an hour like this, which is good enough for me.

Honestly, it is surprisingly easy once you get your process dialed in and get used to your equipment. Everything after the mash works exactly the same, and mashing isn't anything really crazy. You will need a good thermometer...and it takes longer to cool full-boil batches, but that is about it.

That is my take anyways, to each his own.

If you Can pick up a couple of propane burners you could easily build a 3-tier system with what you have. I love mine and brew day is super easy.

They sell an insulation blanket for water heaters that should help contain your heat in the pot. Just secure with a bungie.

Back