Question about Natural Carbing Kegs+Bottles (same batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob

Reaction score
Sorry if there's already an answer for this,

I have no end of trouble getting the whole counterpressure bottle filling from a carbed keg working, so I thought this time around I would fill a gallons worth of bottles from the keg before it's carbed (but after priming), using just a couple PSI to push the beer out the tap.

The question is, should I use the full priming sugar weight for bottling, and just vent the keg periodically to prevent overcarbing? Mostly I'm trying to simplify the process, and make less stuff to wash, and end up with some bottles to give away or store in the process.

Sorry if there's already an answer for this,

I have no end of trouble getting the whole counterpressure bottle filling from a carbed keg working, so I thought this time around I would fill a gallons worth of bottles from the keg before it's carbed (but after priming), using just a couple PSI to push the beer out the tap.

The question is, should I use the full priming sugar weight for bottling, and just vent the keg periodically to prevent overcarbing? Mostly I'm trying to simplify the process, and make less stuff to wash, and end up with some bottles to give away or store in the process.

I've done this before, where I have bottled a few six packs and then kegged the rest. I used the full amount of priming sugar (for bottles) and found that the kegged beer was not over-carbed. This is most likely due to the increased head space that is present in the keg.

Here's a suggestion. When you rack to your keg, fill up a couple of bottles and put a couple of carb tabs in the bottles then carb your keg as usual?

i'd be curious how this works out for you. i've never used the carb tabs before and was wondering how things would come out.

gave up trying to fill bottles long ago. now if someone wants to try my beer they either come over or i'll bring a growler to a gathering. no gifts but more beer for me.

:mug:

I have priming sugar, and I don't have carb tabs is the most simple answer I can give you. It's the most obvious solution of course, but I was planning to naturally carbonate this keg anyhow, figured I would kill two birds with one stone.

Going to give the bottle weight priming sugar a shot, and let you know if my results mimic Ace_Club's.

Good luck, but I'd recommend spending 5 bucks on carb drops. I just used Coopers Carb Drops for the first time on some small batch experiments and they worked great.

why botherwith carb tabs? a small funnel and 3/4 or 1 teaspoon of sugar right into the bottle works for me.

Back