Morebeer - Blind Pig kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Long time no see, gang! I just got back from a great couple weeks in Hawaii. We did a lot of diving and general hanging out and lounging.

Anyway, time to get down to some summer brewing. Aside from the lambic project (got 30 gallons made and am doing 30 more this weekend), I want to get something like a Blind Pig going. I couldn't find a clone recipe anywhere to start with, but you can tell it has a ton of Centennial. Then I found this kit at morebeer:
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18435

Since Vinnie made the kit, it's probably a pretty good place to start. Anyone ever gotten this one? If so, yould you post the recipe? I really don't need to buy the kit. I probably already have everything on hand. But I would like to know the grain bill, hop additions, etc.

Or has anyone seen this recipe published elsewhere? I'd really appreciate if you could point me towards it if you've seen it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Cheers :D

I have this kit from Morebeer fermenting as we speak since this past Saturday. I'm shocked that I actually got a decent blowoff from the WLP001. I have used this yeast probably 6 times and have never had blow off. Must be the new Keezer I'm using for a fermentation chamber with a regulated temp as oppsed to my hall bath tub with ambient air. This will be my first dry hopped beer, I even bought additional hops to make it more of my own. Snell Brewing's Blind Hog Ale.

I have this kit from Morebeer fermenting as we speak since this past Saturday. I'm shocked that I actually got a decent blowoff from the WLP001. I have used this yeast probably 6 times and have never had blow off. Must be the new Keezer I'm using for a fermentation chamber with a regulated temp as oppsed to my hall bath tub with ambient air. This will be my first dry hopped beer, I even bought additional hops to make it more of my own. Snell Brewing's Blind Hog Ale.

You mind sharing the ingredients? I was looking for the forum post, not the recipe on the retail site.

Taken from brewing network forums. Grain bill looks the same as pliny.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11499&hilit=blind+pig

Size: 5.7 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 224.42 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.075)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.018)
|=====================#==========|
Color: 8.0 (6.0 - 15.0)
|===========#====================|
Alcohol: 6.63% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 82.74 (40.0 - 60.0)
|================================|

Ingredients:
1.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0 min
0.25 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.25 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter
13.0 lbs Pale Malt(2-row)
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 40L
1 Unit Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 oz Oak Chips (American) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale
[/i]

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:13:20 Mash In - Liquor: 4.53 gal; Strike: 165.7 °F; Target: 153.0 °F
01:13:20 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 153.1 °F
01:19:48 Mash Out - Heat: 6.5 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:04:48 Sparge - Sparge: 3.99 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.81 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.99 gal

Notes:
Dry hop with 1 oz American oak chips, 1/2 oz cascade hops and 1 oz centennial hops 7 days into the fermentation. Rack off the chips and dry hops after another 7 days.

You mind sharing the ingredients? I was looking for the forum post, not the recipe on the retail site.

Vinnies Blind Pig (Extract)
9 lbs. Ultralight
1 lb. Bavarian Wheat

.5 lb. Carapils
.5 lb. Crystal 40L

2 oz. Magnum - 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade - 15 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - dry hop in sec. for 10-14 days.
1 oz. Willamette - dry hop in sec. for 10-14 days.

1 oz. American Oak cubes - Added to sec. for 7-10 days.

Whirfloc Clarifier tablet - added last 5 min. of boil.

4 oz. Corn sugar for bottling.

WLP001 Cal Ale Yeast from Whitelabs.

OG - 1.066-70
IBU's - 100-104
SRM - 11
ABV% - 6.5
Ferment at 68 F.

This is exactly whats on the paperwork Morebeer gave me. One of the guys even threw in some extra hops for the dry hop to make it more of my own.

Taken from brewing network forums. Grain bill looks the same as pliny.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11499&hilit=blind+pig

[...]

0.25 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.25 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter

[...]

Notes:
Dry hop with 1 oz American oak chips, 1/2 oz cascade hops and 1 oz centennial hops 7 days into the fermentation. Rack off the chips and dry hops after another 7 days.

Does that mean I put the 2 oz of hops into the primary immediately, and then 7 days later put another 1.5 oz of hops in, so 2 dry hoppings, one during fermentation, one after? Am I understanding those instructions right?

Thanks!

You guys are all cheaters! :) Enjoy the beer, and remember that this was the original beer that Vinnie made, not what is being made now. He has toned it down recently and taken out the oak.

Does that mean I put the 2 oz of hops into the primary immediately, and then 7 days later put another 1.5 oz of hops in, so 2 dry hoppings, one during fermentation, one after? Am I understanding those instructions right?

Thanks!

I don't think so. It is just specifying when to add the dryhops. Vinnie also talks about getting the yeast to drop before dry hopping because they will take alot of the oils out of the beer.

But you could dry hop twice if you want too, but again wait until after fermentation.

Just a heads up, this beer is horrible. I had to dump out half the bottles to make room for something else. Nothing like what he makes today. Jipper is right.

I just brewed the kit from MB (circa 2014) and I have to say it is a winner. It is not a 14 day grain to glass brew, but none of my brews are. I let the yeast work for a month and then pitched the dry hops and oak (about half the amount) into the primary for a week.

I got crazy efficiency, but that has to do with the BIAB (OG 1.080) and crush.

Back