Single tier with plastic cooler mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am building a single tier and eventually want to buy a Stout MLT, but until I do I was thinking about getting a cheap kettle or building a keggle. When I was fiddling with my pumps, an idea hit me that has probably been done by someone out in HBT world so I am wondering if it worked or not:

I was thinking I would use my two Chuggers and have one recirculating my wort from the plastic MLT through my plate chiller and the other pumping hot water through the chiller from my HLT. This would, in theory, allow me to use a constant heat source from the HLT to keep my wort at mash temperature and constantly recirculate and sparge my wort. Does this make sense to anyone but me? Has anyone tried this with success? Are there any cons to this I am not considering? TIA! :mug:

I don't have a plate chiller but I'd imagine if grain were to get in it, it would lead to a brew day headache.

Few things I would be concerned with this plan:

1. Clogging the plate chiller/heater - a grant with some type of filter in line before the drain (in the grant) could catch some of the early grain particles prior to grain bed setup.

2. Stuck Sparge/Recirculation - a grant should fix that.

3. Lactobacillus (from your mash runnings) in your plate chiller - could be killed off with recirculation of your boiling wort prior to chilling, though is that worth the risk? I know my March pump doesn't like pumping boiling liquid (too many bubbles).

Disclaimer - I do not currently recirculate mash or wort as my setup isn't quite there yet, so this would be mostly theoretical and based on wisdom procured within HBT.

Like where your headed though...:rockin:

Thanks for the feedback phoenix4sr and Shaggyt! I had not thought about either issue in great detail and had not considered the bacteria issue at all. I do use a StarSan soak on my plate chiller, but that would not help going from wort recirculation to chilling, unless I cleaned in between. I could always boil the chiller while boiling wort, but these added steps are making me rethink this idea a little. Still thinking about giving this a shot sometime, so I will report back if I do, with pictures of how I handle the grain issue...

Back