Brass mash tun fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I know brass fittings on my boil pot is a no no. But what about brass on my mash tun? I have a stainless ball valve but unless I order and wait I will have to use brass nipples. Any issues?

I know brass fittings on my boil pot is a no no. But what about brass on my mash tun? I have a stainless ball valve but unless I order and wait I will have to use brass nipples. Any issues?

I'm wondering why you think brass is a "no no"? After it's been pickled it's perfectly safe, and the amount of lead even if it hasn't been pickled is almost insignificant.

FWIW, I use brass on my boil kettle...

I've wondered the same thing. I have access to everything I would need to make an automated sculpture but don't know where I can and cannot use brass.

I've wondered the same thing. I have access to everything I would need to make an automated sculpture but don't know where I can and cannot use brass.

AFAIK, as with copper, using it anytime before fermentation is OK.

The consensus seems to be that it isn't that big of a deal.

The theory is that there is lead in the brass, but the lead is removed by washing or pickling.

The biggest threat would be from prolonged exposure to the brass, like in the fermenter. Since it is just in your mash tun I wouldn't worry about it.

Read for more info about washing...
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Galvanized or Zinc are a no go due to the acidity of the wort. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have been brewing and making my stuff for about a year now. I have NEVER had this much trouble making a piece of equipment! An FYI when you take the drain plug out of the cooler, if the threads are seized up on the tube sticking through... DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY BREAK THE PIECE!!! It is damned near impossible to get it to seal and be sturdy without that.

Latest posts

Back