Cara/Crystal 10L substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryhippo

Reaction score
I found a recipe which I plan to brew on Saturday. It's a Belgian Wheat Ale.

I have all the ingredients except for 0.11kgs of Cara/Crystal 10L. It's 2.7% of the total grains.

I have some extra Carapils 5EBC, CaraMunich, and Crystal malt 145EBC. Could any of these be used as a substitute? I'm guessing the Munich and Crystal are to dark. How about the Carapils? Worth a shot?

Thanks.

either the carapils or the caramunich will work. if the caramunich is the II variety, it's around 20-25L, you know the carapils is 5L, you could do a blend of the two to get ~10L from your crystal malts.

Would I be correct in assuming another way to answer this question is to plug the original grain bill into beersmith, note the SRM color number, , then play with the substitutions until the same SRM is acheived? Or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding?

Would I be correct in assuming another way to answer this question is to plug the original grain bill into beersmith, note the SRM color number, , then play with the substitutions until the same SRM is acheived? Or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding?

well, yeah, that's what i'd do. that way you could get it pretty much exact. but i was offering the OP a suggestion based on what he has on hand. if he has software, he could just replace the caramel 10 with on of the lighter crystals he has in an amount that yields the same color. :mug:

Thanks for the quick replies!!!!

I think I'll mix some carapils and the munich until I get 10L.

Thanks guys!

Back