Scottish Ale Yeast for IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
Dumb question- I have 3 gallons of an oatmeal stout fermenting with Wyeast 1728- Scottish Ale yeast. For xmas I received a nice IPA kit. Instead of using the dry yeast that came with the kit- would it be acceptable to use a starter made from the sediment out of the oatmeal stout? I'm not too concerned about it being exactly to style, as long as it tastes good! I'm liking the Scottish ale yeast because of its cold tolerant properties and my apartment has been staying around 55F during the day when I am away at work. Eh? :mug:

So long as you're not concerned about the style, I guess there isn't anything technically wrong with it. Plan on the yeast leaving a little more sugar left behind, and potentially giving off a few more esters than whatever came with the kit (although at 55 the esters shouldn't be much of a problem). If all else fails, you can always just call it a British IPA. If the kit is AG you could always mash a little lower to increase fermentability, or if its extract you could bump up the bittering hops to compensate if you're really going for that bitter bite. If the dry yeast was a good brand, I'd maybe consider using it instead, but especially if the dry yeast is one of the off-market, no label jobs then I'd say give the Scottish Ale a shot, who knows you might prefer it!

I think the Scottish is a great yeast, clean and more attenuative than other British yeasts. No reason not to use it.

Ferment it cold and call it Scottish Pale Ale. Don't get hung up on 'style', make what you want then make it again if you like it! Good luck.

Fuggles and EKG's are THE classic British Hops especially for IPA's. You can also lightly smack the beer at the end of fermentation with Bramling X. Works really well in a Malty IPA and gives a slight blackcurrant aorma.

I'm with frazier. I've used Scottish yeast for IPAs and other beers. If I'm doing an IPA or pale, I like to ferment around 60-62* and it's a very clean yeast. It attenuates well, and is surprisingly versatile. If you do want more in the way of esters, ferment warmer.

There is a great book on IPA's by Clive Le pensee & roger protz.

India Pale Ale: Homebrew Class (Homebrew classics): Amazon.co.uk: Clive La Pensee, Roger Protz: 9781852491291: Books

It is well worth a read through.The main thing that separated the English & Scottish IPA's was the fermentation temperatures and thus the length of the fermentation. I have done both styles of IPA's well 3 if i include American, ok 4 if i include Double's oh no wait thats right its 5 different style because you guys invented imperial IPA's and i've brewed them as well :). Anyway my point is that back in the day the Scottish IPA's were the best of the lot because they did the long slow cool fermentation and ended up with beautiful smooth IPA's with a floral bouquet. Beer is one place we don't have to rush and if you live in a cold state then isn't this the time to get in touch with your Scottish brewing style? Esters are for any time. Scottish yeast, Scottish IPA do it the right way! :) Although this of course contradicts my earlier post about not being hung up on styles but in this case long and cool beats fast and warm. Right, i'm away back in my box. Good luck in whichever direction you go i'm sure it will be a cracker!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Pale Ale? Now I am getting excited! :rockin:

If one were to dry hop for an extra hop burst of aroma, what would be a good selection?
Especially for the floral bouquet referenced?

The classics are East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. Subtle low alpha acid hops in massive quantities at the end of the boil are what you'd be looking for. 3.5% AA or lower.

Of course there are plenty of low AA hops grown in America and i personally love using cascade, simcoe amarillo and other large AA hops etc in IPA's. They are great and really spoil the taste buds to any other beer that day(in a good way). As i said earlier it doesn't have to be style driven.

The thing i would take away from this thread is that Classic Scottish pale Ale should be fermented low low( i personally had US-05 working at 6 degrees C on one a couple of years back and it was beautifully smooth.). There's no expense to us in tying up a fermenter for an extra few weeks to allow the yeast to do a nice slow controlled conversion. The low alpha acids of EKG's & Fuggles lend it a subtlety that is missing in the higher AA IPA's

I personally aim for a FWH bitterness of around 100 to 150IBU's and go VAST on the flame out hops, i Mash at 70 deg C and aim for about 6.5% ABV in my IPA's, grain only, no refined sugars as i like my beers to have a good bit of body and be as close to natural as i can get without living in a tree. Basically i try to make IPA's that would not be out of place in Glasgow around 1820. Focusing on that and the above mentioned rough parameters gives me a hell of a nice beer that can't be bought any more due to cost implications, its well worth the extra time and expense and i'm sure that your IPA will be a cracker whichever way you go! Happy New Year guys.

Here is what I ended up with. My multicultural bastardized IPA!

6.6 lbs Amber LME
1 lb light DME
.8 oz Caramel 40L
1 lb Victory malt
.8 oz toasted chestnut meats (i had them on hand, and needed to use them up before they oxidized)

Hops:
60 min- .5 oz Columbus;
last 10 min. - 2 oz Cascade;
last 5 min. 1 oz Cascade;
Dry hop w/ 1 oz Columbus (left over from the kit) and 1 oz Simcoe.

Yeast: Wyeast Scottish Ale

I'm a little nervous about how this is gonna come out, but should be smackin you in the face with some hop aroma hopefully! :)

I cracked open my first bottle of this tonight!

I hafta say I'm very happy with how it came out. Very close to what I was picturing in my head.

6873598129_8a6beb7517.jpg

Pours a clear light amber color leaving a nearly white sticky head that takes a while to dissipate. Just hints of citrus and pine in the aroma, but those hit more deeply on the flavor palate. Definitely getting the dank from the Columbus. Its only slightly bitter, but the hops definitely coat the throat a bit. Malt is there, and definitely a little sweet, but balanced. Its good beer!!!! :ban: :mug:

Scottish Ale Yeast is very versatile and can be used as a house strain for all hop or malt driven styles. It attenuates better than you'd think when thinking about "Scotch Ales," so long as you mash low and provide plenty of fermentables. It also does NOT mask hop flavor the way WLP002 and similar yeasts can.

I did a Weyerman Pale Malt + Palisade SMASH ale with WLP028 once and it was very, very nice.

And Belhaven beers (Twisted Thistle, Belhaven, Wee Heavy) are the nectar of the gods for sure...

Back