San Diegan living in Wellington, New Zealand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatriateNZ

Reaction score
Having recently relocated from one of the craft beer meccas in the US to New Zealand, I've become inspired to brew up some of the styles I miss from back home.

New Zealand has a decent brewing tradition, and grow their own hops which have their strong and weak points. But I find that beers I like most here are modeled after American styles, and usually use some portion of American hops.

Anyways, I'm starting with a Cooper's DIY kit, and am working on my first Australian lager (ale). If it doesn't make me barf, I'm going after a California Common asap. The style is extremely rare in this country and I miss the crap out of it.

Hi, I live in Wellington too and started brewing this year using the biab method. I think there are quite a few homebrewers in the wellington region! The Brewhouse in Newtown has a lot of supplies and they are very helpful. If you don't know already Hashigo Zake import some fresh American craft beers via cold transport and Regional Wine and Spirits sometimes has Anchor Steam beer in. Cheers!

Hi thanks for the suggestions. I've definitely checked out Hashigo Zake, couldn't believe they have so many San Diego and other US west coast beers. Definitely a gem. I need to check out the Brewhouse. My buddies live in Newtown and have also recommended it. I haven't had any luck with Regional and Anchor Steam. They've only had Anchor Liberty Ale when I've been in there, but never Steam. Probably for the better, as six pack will probably be $30+!

What is biab method? Have you had much success with you brewing?

Latest posts

Back