AG to Extract help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth3w303

Reaction score
After looking at a few recipes and visiting my LHBS I came up with a list of ingredients to a Stout I would like to brew. Being new to brewing I am currently in the extract stage. So essentially I'm looking for help/suggestions/info on a DME and/or LME info in place or with use of grains, or if my "idea" will work. I think I'm just looking for some critique and suggestion on what I am over doing, not doing, should be doing. My intention isn't to just ask for someone to build me a recipe but to make sure I'm structured. Thanks for any help.

The eventual 5 gallon recipe I have come up with, I'm hoping, will consist of

2-row pale malt (2-3lbs)
Crystal Malt (2-3lbs)
Black and/or
Briess special Roasted Barley (6-8oz)
English Chocolate malt (10-12oz)
Caramel Malt (8-12oz)
maybe Honey malt (1-3oz)
maybe some oats (.5-1lbs)
and Maltodextrin (?)
any tip/suggestion about Irish Moss?
I'm unsure about the amount of each ingredient but specifically on the 2-row, Crystal, and Maltodextrin

The hops I plan on using are
Northern Brewer (.5-1oz)
Challenger or Galena (.5-1oz)
Willamette or Columbus (.5-1oz)

Undecided on Yeast, probably just American Ale.

A AG recipe I noticed also called for Dextrin Malt. Is this essentially added to all extracts? I planned on steeping 8-10oz CaraPils (dextrin) to start everything off anyways. It's really just a side question.

Would it be okay if
1.) I steeped the final choice of grains together
2.) Threw in a mixture of Light/Pilsner and dark LME/DRE ( I was thinkinng Light/Pilsner LME , and then a regular/special/extra dark consisting of one being a LME and the other being DME) or maybe just doing a Light with Dark or Amber. I kinda felt as if I was trying to be to creative with this part.
3.) Added my hops at different stages
My planned fermentation temp was 65F-70F. Any suggestions on Fermentation time, if I should secondary, and how long it should be bottled for?

Would this work or would this be just a recipe for disaster (stick that in your carboy and ferment it, but really excuse the pun haha)

Please excuse that this is basically a box brew, but that is my training background. Cheers!

for the AG recipe i would swap out the crystal malt for more 2-row. The rest of the specialty grains should be fairly ok. Willamette and columbus are the type of hops i use in stouts so i would recommend those. I wouldn't use irish moss because you won't really be able to tell since the beer is so dark.

for the AG recipe i would swap out the crystal malt for more 2-row. The rest of the specialty grains should be fairly ok. Willamette and columbus are the type of hops i use in stouts so i would recommend those. I wouldn't use irish moss because you won't really be able to tell since the beer is so dark.

Thanks, how many pounds of the 2-row? I was thinking about still using the Crystal. Maybe 5lbs 2-row and 1lbs Crystal? Or do you think with that little Crystal it wouldn't even be noticed, or was there a primary reason as to not using the Crystal to begin with?

Crystal and caramel malts are very similar. If you use too much of either the beer will get dark and won't dry out much. I would use one or the other and not use more than a pound.

Back