Brewing with hay??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiegrlx

Reaction score
My husband and I want to brew a beer with hay but I'm not sure how you would go about that. Would you clean it and then it would need to be sterilized or would boiling it after cleaning be all you needed?

Now that's a good one...Maybe clover hay or the like. Adding that to a light pale ale may do the trick. Maybe just make sure it's free of bugs & dirt & boil it separately. Then add that to the BK.

Most of the hay you can buy is pretty dirt and bug free. We feed it to our rabbit who always smells awesome and it got us to thinking it would be a good add to beer

Well,you could try steeping a couple of pounds in maybe 1 gallon of water at 155F for 30 minutes or so. Strain that into the brew kettle with some extra light plain DME & perhaps Willamette & Kent Golding hops.

Oh boy, I smell another "Geez, I was just kidding, you idiots took me seriously", after 3 pages.

What would one expect to get out of the hay? Better eyesight, like a rabbit? Better sex drive perhaps? You want to smell better? What advantage is there to adding hay to beer?

Hay is usually made from clover or alfalfa (the plant,not the kid). If they were blooming at the time,the dried flowers would add another dimension. Not to be confused with straw,hay is still greenish,but dried whole plant material. Straw is the stalks of wheat after the grains have been removed.
So you may get something like cilantro with a bit of sweetness.

Of all the off the wall stuff people want to add to beer that I've read on here. This is really close to tops.

I might try something like this, an alfalfa pale sounds like it would be tasty.

Fermenting: Razor Wit
Bottling: Matanuska Wildberry
Drinking: As American As... Ale

That one I have not seen. Meat??? I also saw one for brewing with soda, interesting.

My husband and I want to brew a beer with hay but I'm not sure how you would go about that. Would you clean it and then it would need to be sterilized or would boiling it after cleaning be all you needed?

Ever made a "hay tea"? It's a pretty grassy taste, I think it'll add that "grassiness" to your brew. Some hops can be pretty grassy, I had a beer once that was so grassy, it tasted exactly like lawn clippings smell; BLECH!!!

Some people actually like that grassy taste I guess, more for them. I think you should be OK by just tossing it into the boil, even if there are a few bugs in it, the boil will kill them & any bacteria that might be along for the ride. If you're using dry hay, you'll lose a bit of wort volume due to the hay soaking it up. You could also just make a hay tea & add that to your wort.
Regards, GF.

Lol blood??? Hmmm the only reason I would think of hay is Bc it smells sweet implying there might be some fermentable sugar in there. The tea suggestion is interesting i will have to check that out

maybe dry hop with the rabbit.

*giggle* dry "hop" *giggle*

As for odd ingredients in beer Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3 page 96: "Cock Ale"... a parboiled rooster that's been crushed, a half gallon of white wine, 3 lbs of raisins, and mace; that's quite a recipe.

The girls house yeast usually comes from us,all things being equal. Sometimes they're not. Just goes to prove that head cheese doesn't go with everything.

Ah!!!

I am attracted to the noise of ridicule and laughter!
Hay is from the grass family, right? So is corn; and in America there were those who used green corn stalks to brew beer; a web search will turn up at least a recipe or two. There's fermentable sugars in them grass family. That's why we use barley, wheat, oats, corn...I imagine that corn stalks do not give the most pleasant homebrew experience, but it used to be done quite regularly in this country.
I would think that since the corn stalk recipes were preserved, they weren't a complete failure, or the recipe s would have been tossed.
Fresh corn stalks smell of sweetness when crushed, not unlike fresh hay or straw. Our forefathers probably noticed this characteristic as well, and, like us, decided to experiment.
Do a search for corn stalk beer and derive a recipe from that. You can make a brew and use the straw to add flavor.
I am curious as to the result of your efforts. Please keep us posted!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd......

You killed it Gnarlyhopper. I am not a poster, but an official of the "Thread Killa" board.

Count it!

hey there, old thread but an idea. When Chicha is brewed the beer is filtered through hay or straw. Why not bring the water to a boil. turn the heat off, and the fermentables, and then strain the whole thing through some hay into the boil kettle.

I noticed some of you are confusing hay with straw. They are not the same. Straw is made from dried grain stalks after the grain is harvested. Hay is made from clover,alfalfa,etc specifically for live stock feed. And it's green,where straw is a light golden/tan sort of color.

Some hops can be pretty grassy, I had a beer once that was so grassy, it tasted exactly like lawn clippings smell; BLECH!!!

I had a beer that tasted the same way, purely like grass, it was disgusting. I believe it was this one:

1617.jpg

Rev.

Why stop at hay. Go for the entire equine experience and add wet manure (aka wet hops) and dry manure. You can "dry manure" the finished product for added flavor and aroma. My God, a new style has been created...

...hay....isn't....straw????????

Dear God......My world is crumbling.....

yeah people often look at me funny when they say hay and I correct them. Fun fact. during the civil war some people didn't know the difference between their right and left so the soliders used to tie a piece of hay to one boot and a piece of straw to another boot to know how to march.

But I was thinking of using the hay in the mash to aid in the filter bed. kinda like rice hulls.

slightly off topic but i cant give much advice on how hay would be in beer but i can try to clarify what is hay and what is not

there are actually 2 general broad categories of hay one is grass hay (like coastal, bermuda grass) and the second is legume hay (like alfalfa, peanut)

the legume hay is what has been talked about more here it has a sweeter smell to it than grass hay does

there is yalls ag lesson for the day, week, month, or year (pick one)

I baled a lot of hay and straw when I was a kid. Straw was always baled from oat stalks. The hay that I baled was mainly from alfalfa fields.

PS...I didn't want to get into this discussion because I couldn't believe what I was reading. Can't you guys find something better then hay to brew with. Come on, that's getting out there a bit IMHO. :)

Back