Krausen pronunciation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
Ok, maybe a silly question but then again I went around pronouncing wort
like it was spelled and not by the proper "wert" for a long time.

I thought that krausen was pronounced like "krow sen" (the krou having a "krow/cow" sound). Then I heard the guy at my LHBS pronounce it like "kray sen" or krayzen (like crazy)?:confused:
What is it?

Any othe weird words in the homebrew world?

Tommy

I recently wondered the same thing. I was listening to beer radio online (I forget the actual name of the program, someone linked on a thread here) and he pronouned it (krausen), in what I thought, a weird way, but maybe I've been saying it wrong the entire time too. I guess if anyone looks at you funny you can say it's one of those regional dialect things.

I'm not really sure what the "correct" pronounciation is, but according to German pronounciation principles, "krausen" should be pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with what you say when you hurt yoursef ("Ow!").

However, the word is sometimes also spelled "kraeusen," which I would think woulb be pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with "boy." This, BTW, is how the word has always been pronounced in my mind.

Kroy-Zen or kräusen
two syllables. If you can prounce the umlaut in German form then you have already won the battle, otherwise see below.

Kroy- like Troy, but with a K
Zen- as in Zen the branch of Mahayana Buddhism.

glibbidy said:
Kroy-Zen or kräusen
two syllables. If you can prounce the umlaut in German form then you have already won the battle, otherwise see below.

DUH! That explains why it's sometimes spelled "kraeusen"--it's a transliteration of the umlaut. (Seems pretty obvios, now that you mention it). So then "kräusen" is the actual German word, right?

cweston said:
DUH! That explains why it's sometimes spelled "kraeusen"--it's a transliteration of the umlaut. (Seems pretty obvios, now that you mention it). So then "kräusen" is the actual German word, right?

Jahwohl das ist richtig!

cweston said:
Du bist sehr nützlich, Herr.
(Since I've drank your beer, I figured I could call you "du.")
ah shucks!:) We'll have to make a beer trade when cooler weather prevails.

olllllo said:
So the Motley Crue and Spinal Tap umlauts are.... incorrect. Who'da thunk.
Yes, True. They were just trying to be über cool

The "K" is silent like knee and knife...and the emphasis is on the first syllable.

Try taking hit on a bong, hold for 30 seconds, don't exhale...and then try to say it.

Cheers.

the umlaut makes all the difference. "au" with the umlaut over the "a" is pronounced "oy". without the umlaut, it is pronounced as "ow". the mispronunciation (as "krowzen") probably started when it was printed/typed with programs that didn't have the umlaut feature...and then blossomed from there. Just a thought.

desiderata said:
the umlaut makes all the difference. "au" with the umlaut over the "a" is pronounced "oy". without the umlaut, it is pronounced as "ow". the mispronunciation (as "krowzen") probably started when it was printed/typed with programs that didn't have the umlaut feature...and then blossomed from there. Just a thought.
Your observation is about as right as anyone elses. There's not too many examples of the umlaut used in this way because it usually makes the word plural.

Back