Re-planting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brand new to hop growing, and just bought a centennial plant from a local grower. It has been previously planted and has developed it's roots already, with a few vines out of the pot. I listened to the guy tell me how to plant it, but I'm looking for a little more information as to how I should plant it and maintain it in October in Maryland. Should I wait until a post frost month like spring, or plant it now, let it go dormant and then allow it to grow in the spring? If anyone has a link to a forum or post related to this situation that would be great! Here is a picture of it now.

image-1045824826.jpg

Did you ever get an answer?

I moved this summer from ND to MD, and brought part of the crown of each of my hops with me. Right now, they are in pots on the apartment porch while we wait for the house to be finished. I was planning on leaving them outside and go dormant. The winters here are nothing compared to ND, or so I've heard.

I just moved my Centennial plants from pots to their new homes at the garden edge.
The plants are dormant and I had to wait for the veggy plants to finish their 'giving'.

'da Kid

Did you ever get an answer?

I moved this summer from ND to MD, and brought part of the crown of each of my hops with me. Right now, they are in pots on the apartment porch while we wait for the house to be finished. I was planning on leaving them outside and go dormant. The winters here are nothing compared to ND, or so I've heard.

Mrstevenund,
I'm down toward Westminster. Did you ever get that house finished to plant those hops?

Back