Rapeseed honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I've made a few meads, but am far from an expert.
My wife bought me a jar of rapeseed honey... I had to look it up to find out what it was! I believe it's whipped honey, and don't know how that could affect a mead either.
Any ideas? Has anyone ever used rapeseed honey, or creamed honey to make mead?

Oil seed rape a.k.a. canola seed is, as I understand it, considered by apiarists, as a complete PITA. Because its quite high in sucrose and can crystalise while the honey is still in the comb.

But I have read that it does make quite a good mead.

I haven't tried it yet as it seems that the bee keepers try to keep their hives away from where its grown for that very reason i.e. hard or at least inconvenient to harvest.

Yet from what I understand, it makes for good whipped/creamed/set honey (easily spread on to bread, but doesn't melt unless heated/on toast).

I'd say get 3 or 4 pounds and make a gallon batch traditional, too see how it comes out...

Canola honey is one of the primary honeys available in my province (along with alfalfa), so I'm fairly used to it, though I'm fairly new to meadmaking. As fatbloke mentioned, it does crystalize fairly quickly, which is why it is typically sold creamed, as a table honey. I have made mead with it before, and it turns out just fine, though without what I understand are some of the more exciting aspects of a monoblossom honey like OB.

For flavour, I would say it has a bit of a mild buttery flavour, very smooth, and very sugary. I love it.

Finally got around to tasting this and have mead fermenting now.

I read that it had a peppery flavor. But vulcan nailed it. Buttery is a good description, I was saying creamy and milky, but that wasn't convaying what I actually meant.

I have 500g in a one gallon batch with a little bit of ginger and rosemary. I didn't take a gravity reading, but I'm figuring it will be around 1.035 and give me a final ABV of a little under 5%. I plan on letting it go dry, and then bottle carbing it like a beer.

Damn that'll come out drier than desert IMO......

Whether it will allow you to appreciate the flavours of the honey, I doubt. As it will just be rather "thin" and probably lack body.......

As I understand, most honey in Sweden is supposedly rapeseed honey, although sold as wildflower. You often see a few hives just outside a rapeseed field.

In my opinion, the honey is hit and miss. Sometimes you strike gold and sometimes it's just bland.

Back