Has anyone had a beer de-gas like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vp1

Reaction score
I have a porter that sat in primary for a month, then was racked to secondary with 1.5 oz oak cubes soaked in bourbon for a month. It has now been in secondary for close to a month. For the last three weeks it looks like it has been de-gassing I guess.

porter_zpsd9a0013f.jpg

You can see in the picture the ring of bubbles. They look very much like CO2 bubbles and there are a few constant streams that can be seen running up the sides of the carboy.

So why am I concerned? The other half of this beer picked up an infection, however the yeast for that half was washed 002 and this one is fresh 007.

There is no visible signs of infection. The oak cubes DO have some strange film on them which is hard to make out through the carboy. Taste and smell are the big ones I know and there does seem to be a slight off flavor and, more convincingly, smell when opening the carboy or smelling a sample. That being said, the beer still tastes nice at this point.

It would have been great if I took a gravity sample when racking to secondary for a starting data point but I didn't so as of today it is at 1.018 and I would rather not let it go and see if the gravity drops further since the off flavor/smell has increased in the last three weeks.

The degassing I don't believe is CO2 leaving solution based on time (well it is CO2 but I don't think any residual from the initial fermentation).

There is the carb and quick drink strategy or I have debated hitting it with k-meta, racking again, then bottling.

I just wanted to get some thoughts and see if anyone has experienced this kind of post fermentation behavior before?

Thanks

Vince

It's odd to see that sort of behavior out of a two month old beer. I'm really hoping for your sake that it isn't a bacterial infection or something feeding on those oak chips. You said you lost the other half of the beer to an infection, and if this one winds up infected as well, you'll have to take a close look at your sanitation and brewing process. Were the chips properly sanitized?

The cubes I did like I normally do with chips, boiled in the microwave. These I added the bourbon to and covered.

Initially when the other half went bad, which was in primary, I chocked it up to the washed 002. However now that this half seems to be going south I am thinking it may have to do with when the batch was all together post boil. I have since upgraded to a 3 piece ball valve for easier cleaning but at the time had the original 3/8 two piece. I also now run boiling wort through the ball valve near the end of the boil to ensure everything is sanitized. I am guessing there is not enough heat conducting to the valve to properly kill anything that could be present in there?

I still have the other half that is infected since I haven't needed the carboy and it isn't de-gassing like this one. Just such strange behavior.

Back