Paddle your mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertRGeorge

Reaction score
I have just discovered the joys of using a paddle to stir the mash tun instead of the long handled stirring spoon I use for fermenation. Amazingly more efficient.

My question is, I see a lot of paddles with holes in them, some pretty fancy. Mine is a stockpot paddle from the restaurant supply store. It works great, but has no holes; could I possibly get some esoteric value from creating small areas of turbulence in my mash? Would anything other than the cool factor be served?

I believe one of the main reasons for holes in the mash paddle is to aid in the breaking up of dough balls in the mash so the grain can be soaked evenly.

yeah I believe most people have holes in the paddle to break up the dough balls. but if you dough in while stirring and do a good job of it you probably wont need to break up many dough balls.

I too have a cheapo wooden paddle from a restaurant supply store. It's worked well for me so far.

If you add holes to your paddle you'll avoid hot side aeration, and as a bonus you won't need to use a secondary. It'll keep your curve ball from hanging, and your wife will see you with new lustful eyes. A raise at work becomes much more likely, and the Jones next door will begin admiring your lawn.

Further, the paddle moves a bit more easily through thick, deep mashes. And that's about it. Like they say in the big republic of Texas, Drill baby drill!

I'm surprised no one mentioned that holes will increase the sting when you use the paddle to punish the mash gnomes.
Anyway, thanks for the insights. Drill I will.

Back