Mead in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinmo

Reaction score
I bought a mead kit which was 14 lbs.? Clover honey, spring water and yeast. I thought it said to wait one year before bottling. I have had it in the primary for six months and everything looks good. Does that seem like an appropriate time frame? I lost the instructions and don't want to leave it in the primary too long.

There may have been some other ingedients, nurtients... Bu i don't remember because it was six months ago.

What kind of container is your primary? Is it clear? Is there a bunch of junk on the bottom? Have you racked it at all? Was it under an airlock the whole time? What color is it? Do you have any little envelopes of chemicals laying around that you dont know what they go to? Did you try to search online for the companies instructions on how to make your kit and its ingredients? These are just the starter questions. WVMJ

It is in a clear glass 6 gallon carboy with about an inch of head space. It has been under an airlock the whole time. The color is a nice opaque golden yellow bit there is almost an inch of white (i think it's yeast) sediment on the bottom. I used all the ingredients when i was brewing and am not sure but i think i might have bought the kit from midwest brew supply.

Midwest mead kits dont come with much. If it is clear, you can probably bottle it. It may benefit from more bulk aging, but probably not a ton. You will probably want to let it age a couple months in the bottles before drinking it, but definitely take a sample and see how it tastes!

Back